Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD Tips - you can't have too many

I suggest, run Vi analyser and read results. It can be helpful in optymalizaton of application.

Piotr

>Dear All,

>I am attaching my solution for the 4 hour CLD Boiler sample exam.

>I would be much grateful if someone can take a look and tell what you think 😄

0 Kudos
Message 61 of 68
(3,842 Views)

VI analyzer complains about

a) spelling ( For example i use shortcuts (delim for delimited, cstr for cluster, arr for array)

b) diagram size

c) debugging enabled

d) most surprisingly Controls provided in sample exams saying the controls are overlapping in clusters ( thought I shouldn't touch controls provided by ni)

Which of the above take the points away during the test and need to be corrected? 

0 Kudos
Message 62 of 68
(3,595 Views)

Another thing I do very often is create a reference for the FP control and use the reference throughout the code to populate the values on the fp control, obviously fp control ends up being unwired, is that wrong and most importantly would I loose points for this??

Snippet1.png

0 Kudos
Message 63 of 68
(3,593 Views)

@rsmrostov wrote:

Another thing I do very often is create a reference for the FP control and use the reference throughout the code to populate the values on the fp control, obviously fp control ends up being unwired, is that wrong and most importantly would I loose points for this??

I don't know if you'll lose points but one thing you may want to consider is that if you do this too often it can be become difficult to figure out why some value is being written incorrectly to your front panel if references are all over your application. Writing values to property nodes is also ~1000x slower than just wiring it to the indicator which usually isn't noticable but it is something you should be aware of.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 64 of 68
(3,582 Views)

Thanks for replying!
Someone in this thread earlier has brought up loosing points for unwired controls, I will try going through the thread to find this post again.
"Control terminals on connector pane not wired on block diagram". - this was quoted.  Or is this the case where control terminals are added to subvis in a template-like fashion, but then never used?
That's why I would like to know if others have seen it and you loosepoints for this.  As far as the rest goes - see below
@Jacobson-ni wrote:

@rsmrostov wrote:

I don't know if you'll lose points but one thing you may want to consider is that if you do this too often it can be become difficult to figure out why some value is being written incorrectly to your front panel if references are all over your application.

I understand this; however, I do this, for the sake of updating FP from SubVis, so clearly the subvis are where one would look.  Do you know of a better way?

Writing values to property nodes is also ~1000x slower than just wiring it to the indicator which usually isn't noticable but it is something you should be aware of.

Agreed on that, however, is it still ~1000 x slower, if you have to have a special case for updating the FP and WaitMs to execute?  Primarily I do this to perform methods on Controls, but indicators as well, when there's need to update them from a SubVi.

0 Kudos
Message 65 of 68
(3,574 Views)

@rsmrostov wrote:

I understand this; however, I do this, for the sake of updating FP from SubVis, so clearly the subvis are where one would look.  Do you know of a better way?

Rarely should GUIs be updated from subVIs.  1) It causes a lot of coupling. 2) It is slow.  So if you are just updating values, have the subVI pass out the value and write directly to the terminal.  If from a parallel loop, use a User Event to send the data to your GUI loop, which should be using an Event Structure already, and have the event case update the terminal.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 66 of 68
(3,564 Views)

Awesome Tips Broken_Arrow,

Further if any aspiring CLD or CLA need professional help, Grafitects provides you proven trainings for both CLD and CLA Preparations.

These trainings are designed by CLA and LabVIEW Champion. 142 CLDs and CLA has been trained already.

Experience of training more than 300 LabVIEW professionals, scientists, engineers, and students

For LabVIEW CLD trainings: https://grafitects/make-me-cld(https://grafitects/make-me-cld)

For LabVIEW CLA trainings: https://grafitects/make-me-cla(https://grafitects/make-me-cla)

For CLD Printed Training Manual (Shipped worldwide): https://grafitects.com/cld-printed-manual

157+ CLDs & 9 CLA Trained
LabVIEW Training resources
0 Kudos
Message 67 of 68
(3,069 Views)

Hello,

I had my exam today (UK) and while my memory is fresh I would like to add my tips:

1. Learn all the elements needed for business logic, or in other words fundamental functionality (file IO, arrays, timers etc.) It is likely that if you don't perfect one it will haunt you on the exam. Look at the success package (look at the CLD success package exercises) and obviously sample exams. I struggled almost two hours with one of the major functionalities of the program. And started really progressing after that, which was too late already.

2. If you didn't manage to start working on a major functionality and it's 30 minutes left, it is likely you won't be able to do it. You'd better off make a template and finish off the comments, and improve style. Don't make a mistake like me trying to finish off a major functionality in the last 30 minutes, and ending up with half-baked, buggy functionality, but having a spaghetti code in your state machine or event handler loop. Why I did this mistake, because I thought 30 minutes is enough. Everyone said about last 15 minutes and I thought i could make it if have 30 minutes. But time flies really fast. I should start with subVI with this functionality and working inside it and having nice diagram in my case structure andif I didn't finish let's be it but at least I would fail with style, which actually would help.

3. I don't know if it's the case in other countries, but here in the UK you could take your own mouse and keyboard. I wish I knew that beforehand. And check the mouse speed in the time allocated for setting up the environment. My was too quick and ended up going back to the windows settings during exam time.

4. Listen to all the people advocating the quick drop and adopt it as early, as you can. I adopted it too late and I wasn't that efficient.

5. I think my exam spec was clearly written, maybe not o much detailed as the sample exams, but was clear enough to carry out the task.

6. Learn inside out your favourite design pattern. I learned mine: Queued Message Handler as shipped with Labview and it worked like a charm. Core functionalities, are the difficult bits in my opinion.

7. Learn arrays functions and for loops inside out.

8. Practice how you create the project and modify the template if you use it. I lost 15 minutes faffing about it because of stress.

9. Use the SubVI with error case template shipped with Labview, click New and choose it from the templates ( check it out while you practising)

I would be very interested if I pass, I can't wait whatever the result.

Best wishes,

Piotr Golacki

Message 68 of 68
(2,749 Views)