Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD Tips - you can't have too many

Hello Guys, 

I have created a timer that have reset , pause , autoreset capability , I intend to use it  in CLD exam and I will delete unneeded functionality in it.

I need your opinion if this is OK or not as this is much faster and saves me time.

Waiting your responses

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 51 of 68
(3,884 Views)

Hi 

I suggest a FGV based timer as it requires no caller. It preserves values from each time it is run.
Here's an example with pause functionality.

0 Kudos
Message 52 of 68
(3,876 Views)

Thanks all for answers!

>2. It is necessary connect all elements of front panel to connector pane?

>For subVIs, it should be rare to have front panel elements that are not on the connector pane.  I am not sure if you will lose points for this or not.  On the top level, nothing should be on the >connector pane.

In one opinion about my exam in dokumentation section i read:

"Control terminals on connector pane not wired on block diagram".

I think that evaluators think, that i must connect front panel elements of main VI. But all or some of elements?

Best wishes
Piotr

0 Kudos
Message 53 of 68
(3,852 Views)

@PWxfasd wrote:

I think that evaluators think, that i must connect front panel elements of main VI. But all or some of elements?

You did not use the terminal!  Used a local variable or a property node instead?  Always use the terminal.  Only use local variables when absolutely necessary.

Spoiler
One of the 3 points I lost on my CLD was the usage of a local variable in order to update a status string in a second state of my state machine.  Still kind of mad about that one since that was a value usage of a local variable.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 54 of 68
(3,850 Views)

For some elements I use Event structure and value change event. For example Start process or Stop Application. For this element, from event structure i set next step for state machine. How do it properly without waste of points? Maybe connect to Event structure without read value?

Piotr

0 Kudos
Message 55 of 68
(3,843 Views)

@PWxfasd wrote:

For some elements I use Event structure and value change event. For example Start process or Stop Application. For this element, from event structure i set next step for state machine. How do it properly without waste of points? Maybe connect to Event structure without read value?

1. The terminal had better be in the event case that fires it.

2. If we are talking about the main VI, why are you using the connector pane at all?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 56 of 68
(3,839 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@PWxfasd wrote:

You did not use the terminal!  Used a local variable or a property node instead?  Always use the terminal.  Only use local variables when absolutely necessary.

Spoiler
One of the 3 points I lost on my CLD was the usage of a local variable in order to update a status string in a second state of my state machine.  Still kind of mad about that one since that was a value usage of a local variable.

Addressing the spoiler here:

I agree that setting the value to the same control in different parts of the block diagram is a valid use of a local variable. However, some times there are alternatives, for example: if one needs to set the same value in different states, a shift register can be used and the terminal can be put outside the case structure of the State machine. Alternatively, some state machines have a state called "update display", that forces all the terminals to be updated in the same case and all the "local data" to be available via the shift register to all cases. 

The guideline I follow is:

1) If I can get a wire to it, use a wire (this means a direct connection or via a shift register). 

2) If a wire is not possible, then use a local variable (for example setting the value of a control or reading the value of an indicator)

3) If a local variable is not possible, then look into using Property Node or a Global

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 57 of 68
(3,831 Views)

Dear All,

I am attaching my solution for the 4 hour CLD Car Wash sample exam.

I would be much grateful if someone can take a look and tell what you think 😄

0 Kudos
Message 58 of 68
(3,788 Views)

Dear All,

I am attaching my solution for the 4 hour CLD Boiler sample exam.

I would be much grateful if someone can take a look and tell what you think 😄

0 Kudos
Message 59 of 68
(3,788 Views)

>For some elements I use Event structure and value change event. For example Start process or Stop Application. For this element, from event structure i set next step for state machine. How do it properly without waste of points? Maybe connect to Event structure without read value?

> 2. If we are talking about the main VI, why are you using the connector pane at all?

In post Best strategy for the CLD Exam  Author says "Connect the connector pane of the main VI (I lost my 0.5 points because I forgot to connect it as it is oft useless for the main of an application)". And I think, that I must something connect... But how? All small points are important...

Piotr

0 Kudos
Message 60 of 68
(3,776 Views)