Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD Tips - you can't have too many

Hi Mechatronic Engineer,

You don't have to add tips and descriptions in subVis, you do have to give them a short and meaningful description and a meaningful icon.

The tips and descriptions are only required in the top level Vi controls and indicators.  It would have been unresonable to ask for tips and descriptions in every subVi in a 4 hours exam.

My advise is start with the easy points 1st  i.e documentation and clarity of the diagram as well as descriptions on the diagram that allow redability.

About the functionality, don't try to go for full marks as it is almost impossible to achieve documentation and clear diagrams as well as full functionality in 4 hours with all the stress of the exam.

Also avoid trying to get functionality marks in the last 15 minutes as you risk to make a horible mistake due to stress and then negate the good work you have done so far.  Leave the last 15 min to get some easy documentation and diagram clarity points.

If you get you documentation and the other part (already forgot its name) right, you only need half of the functionality to be right to pass.

At the end of the day a pass with 70% or a pass with 100% is the same. It is  just a pass, so be tactical and aim to pass.

Good luck

Slim60

Message 41 of 68
(5,448 Views)

@MechatronicsEngineer wrote:

Dear All,

I want to inquire about something in the CLD exam ,

We are supposed to write in the tips and description of all indicators and controls , my question is for SUBVIs that its controls and indicators are not visible to the user do we have to write in them as well or enough comments in the subVI as if I have to write tip and description in every one , I will have to make lots of type definition to write in the tip and description of the type def to cascade in all subVIs it is used.

This is very important for me as I am entering CLD in 1 month 

Tip Strips appear only when running.  For that reason, they are mandatory for any control or indicator that the USER can see and practacally useless on subvi's that do not show their front panel.  If you have a pop-up- put the tip strips on the user controls.  Tips tell the user what to expect when they change a control value or what the value shown in the indicator means.  They should be written in phrases like (using the ATM example" Press this button to simulate inserting a card" or "View on-screen ATM messages here."  Notice, you can easilly pick out which objects those Tips belong to.

Summary: Tip Strips are the developers primary communication path to Users.

Discriptions can only be seen by developers.  They appear in the floater Help window when the object of hovered over. They a a handy way to let the rest of the development team know the purpose of the control or indicator.  These belong: A) anywhere there is a Tip Strip, B) any Wired control or indicator (items on the connector pane.)  They help the developer that drops your vi on their Block diagram understand how you code will respond.

One of several good examples is the documentation of "Set Busy.vi"

Capture.PNG

Does that help you understand how I would grade you documentation style (and demand of coworkers) Smiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 42 of 68
(5,434 Views)

Thanks for the support guys , I have one more question regarding SubVIs , will I be deducted any markes if i made in a subVI error in and error out the only things outside the case structure for no error and error and all the inputs and outputs of this subvi is inside the case structure , does this affect the compiler badly and I should keep all inputs and outputs outside the case structure ?

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 68
(5,278 Views)

Thanks for the support guys , I have one more question regarding SubVIs , will I be deducted any markes if i made in a subVI error in and error out the only things outside the case structure for no error and error and all the inputs and outputs of this subvi is inside the case structure , does this affect the compiler badly and I should keep all inputs and outputs outside the case structure ?

According to the style guides, you should have your terminals outside of the case structure.  This way you will have default values in the error case.  I cannot say for sure, but I would suspect you would lose points for style.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 44 of 68
(5,276 Views)

How can I get official Answer for this , since if we have an error by default the outputs will have the default values

I tried it on labview and it is the same

one last thing as well.

if I have at least to put the output outside the case structure , does the same case apply for the inputs???

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 68
(5,273 Views)

How can I get official Answer for this , since if we have an error by default the outputs will have the default values

I tried it on labview and it is the same

one last thing as well.

if I have at least to put the output outside the case structure , does the same case apply for the inputs???

Yes, all wired terminals should be on the root block diagram Start Here for a summary and here for some details on why it must be so

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 68
(5,247 Views)

I failed my CLD exam. I going to try again in first half of June. I have doubt about some problems how correctly realise application. I do not want again to make the same mistakes. I have a few questions. Cane someone help me?

1. It is necessary make applicaton as project or is enough make it as VI with subVI with maintain the folder hierarchy?

2. It is necessary connect all elements of front panel to connector pane?

3. In #4 program examples of "Success Package" indicator name"Count" has string type but in solution it has numeric type. It is allowed changing type of front panel elements in exams?

4. It is necessary set default values of front panel elements from Block Diagram or is enough set it by option: Data operations/Make Current Value Default and save the applicaton?

5. I don't understand one opinion about my exam:
"Non-default used on typedefined cluster constants"
Can someone explain it in simple words?

Best wishes
Piotr

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 68
(5,216 Views)

@PWxfasd wrote:

1. It is necessary make applicaton as project or is enough make it as VI with subVI with maintain the folder hierarchy?

Necessary to use the project?  No.  Should you use a project anyways?  YES!!!!  You should be using the project in your day-to-day development.  Why wouldn't you do the same for the exam?

For subVIs, it should be rare to have front panel elements that are not on the connector pane.  I am not sure if you will lose points for this or not.  On the top level, nothing should be on the connector pane.

3. In #4 program examples of "Success Package" indicator name"Count" has string type but in solution it has numeric type. It is allowed changing type of front panel elements in exams?

I was told you were not allowed to change the main's front panel (except for the quick tips).  So I would avoid doing this.

4. It is necessary set default values of front panel elements from Block Diagram or is enough set it by option: Data operations/Make Current Value Default and save the applicaton?

Set them on the front panel.  No reason to do all the extra coding.

There was a bug where if you updated a type def, then all of the constants would revert to the default value.  This will break your code (as in a logic error, not a compile error) everywhere that you had a non-default constant of the type def just by you having to add an element to your cluster.  Therefore, do not use non-default values in your type def cluster constants.  Instead, use Bundle By Name to set the non-default values.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 48 of 68
(5,209 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@PWxfasd wrote:

Necessary to use the project?  No.  Should you use a project anyways?  YES!!!!  You should be using the project in your day-to-day development.  Why wouldn't you do the same for the exam?

Yes, you must use the provided project!  If you do not "GET" the advantages of usuing a lvproj.....you will not be a good candidate for CLD.  Not using the provided project (according to the latest CLD exam Prep Guide) will result in an "Ungraded submission."  In other words, "Fail" score = 0.

For subVIs, it should be rare to have front panel elements that are not on the connector pane.  I am not sure if you will lose points for this or not.  On the top level, nothing should be on the connector pane.

NO, Sub vi Front Panel indicators, may not be "In Memory."  So, some "Debugging" graphs or charts may be used for testing! IF, the sub-vi collects data.  FP Controlls, on a sub-vi should be wired to the connector pane.  Use the "This terminal is...Required, Recommended, Optional" options to choose.   If you do not "GET" the advantages of usuing those options.....you will not be a good candidate for CLD

I was told you were not allowed to change the main's front panel (except for the quick tips).  So I would avoid doing this.

No. Do not change the FP Objects data type... Edit the object properties as needed!

Set them on the front panel.  No reason to do all the extra coding. Nothing to add

There was a bug where if you updated a type def, then all of the constants would revert to the default value.  This will break your code (as in a logic error, not a compile error) everywhere that you had a non-default constant of the type def just by you having to add an element to your cluster.  Therefore, do not use non-default values in your type def cluster constants.  Instead, use Bundle By Name to set the non-default values.

A few Years ago we got the ability to view cluster constants as icons on our Block Diagrams.  The down side is that....We could hide data constants on the BD inside an icon!  If any element of that data is "Non-Default" the icon has no indication that the data is divergent from the default data.  So, You get a warning from VIA to go back and check the data in the cluster constant!  

SWEET!

crossrulz's advice is valid.  Or, just "Bookmark" the icon with a comment on the constant!  (Time too upgrade the VIA!)

Message 49 of 68
(5,182 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

@PWxfasd wrote:

Yes, you must use the provided project!  If you do not "GET" the advantages of usuing a lvproj.....you will not be a good candidate for CLD.  Not using the provided project (according to the latest CLD exam Prep Guide) will result in an "Ungraded submission."  In other words, "Fail" score = 0.

Is this Christmas is May? (referring to the Red and Green fonts) Smiley Tongue

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 50 of 68
(5,166 Views)