Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD Tips - you can't have too many

I am going to be taking the CLD April 19th, so I hope I can pass it on the first time.

One question I was wondering is if you should change the look of the provided Front Panel of the CLD test.  The front panels of the preparation kit always seem a bit drab (a lot of gray color). Is NI expecting the test taker to jazz up the Front Panel for style points?

Also, for those who have passed did it help them make career advancements?

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 68
(5,434 Views)

@fspine wrote:
{...} One question I was wondering is if you should change the look of the provided Front Panel of the CLD test.  The front panels of the preparation kit always seem a bit drab (a lot of gray color). Is NI expecting the test taker to jazz up the Front Panel for style points?

DO give the controls Tip Strips and Documentation, but other than that, spend your leftover time in Documentation and making the code cleaner.

If the FP controls are not organized, then by all means organize them. If buttons are different sizes for no reason, fix that. But jazzing things up? I wouldn't clutter your mind with that. Those hours go by very fast,

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 68
(5,423 Views)

Yeah don't mess with the FP other than documentation, and covers tags.  NI put it together, they know if it looks crappy.

As for career advancement, personally I thought of it more as affirmative that I knew what I was doing.  Passing my CLD on my first try, and my CLA on my first try, having taken no official training, meant I knew my stuff, and had the paper to prove it.  But I have had interviews where companies would base your salary, and work load, on your experience, and having a level of certification was used as criteria.  I was told something like a CLD at this company makes between A and B, and a CLA makes between C and D, so they clearly valued certification.

For those that know NI certification, they know a CLAD doesn't mean much, and that a CLD means you took a real practical and can handle it.  Those who don't know much about NI don't know how easy a CLAD can be, and might value it more than they should, and might value a CLA less than they should.  In the end it isn't all that expensive, and in the past NI has given away some certificates for discounts, and it can look good on a resume.

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 68
(5,416 Views)

@fspine wrote:

I am going to be taking the CLD April 19th, so I hope I can pass it on the first time.

One question I was wondering is if you should change the look of the provided Front Panel of the CLD test.  The front panels of the preparation kit always seem a bit drab (a lot of gray color). Is NI expecting the test taker to jazz up the Front Panel for style points?

Also, for those who have passed did it help them make career advancements?

Do not waste time "Jazzing up" the FP - Yes, DO document the user objects with Tip Strips and discriptions!  (Yes, I do not miss too many opportunities to point that out!)

As "One of those who have passed"  between pre- and post- CLD would you belive about a %30 increase in net earnings?  The logo and recognition are "Good Investments"  

@Lets go there again, %30 net.  My results may not be typical... you see the same disclaimer on every infomercial @ 2:00AM.  But I've NEVER heard anyone complain about getting that CLD polo shirt!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 68
(5,406 Views)

Jeff·Þ·Bohrer wrote:  But I've NEVER heard anyone complain about getting that CLD polo shirt!

I never got a CLD polo!

Spoiler
Mine was a brown button up dress shirt.  When I got my CLA is when NI came out with the dark blue polos.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 68
(5,390 Views)

I never got my CLA shirt, must have been lost in the mail, but I did get a CLD shirt...that I only wore for a year.  Anyone want a free shirt I guess?

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 68
(5,369 Views)

Thanks for all the responses.  

The reason I asked was because the preparation kit says to follow the Labview Style Guidelines (which talks About coloring of the front panel with pastels etc.).  It is kind of hard to know what exactly they are looking for in terms of scoring "Style"

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 68
(5,362 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

but I did get a CLD shirt...that I only wore for a year.  Anyone want a free shirt I guess?

I'm sure Jeff's is getting pretty worn out.  And it isn't like he is going to get a CLA in this lifetime.Smiley Wink

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 68
(5,355 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@Hooovahh wrote:

but I did get a CLD shirt...that I only wore for a year.  Anyone want a free shirt I guess?

I'm sure Jeff's is getting pretty worn out.  And it isn't like he is going to get a CLA in this lifetime.Smiley Wink

I have 2 CLD polos,  I begged for the second one.  I'm sure I'll get my CLA before those shirts wear out!  Maybe I'll wear an shrubbery instead! 

Spoiler
as long a Lili remebers some shrubbery proviso's

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 68
(5,348 Views)

Dear All,

I want to inquire about something in the CLD exam ,

We are supposed to write in the tips and description of all indicators and controls , my question is for SUBVIs that its controls and indicators are not visible to the user do we have to write in them as well or enough comments in the subVI as if I have to write tip and description in every one , I will have to make lots of type definition to write in the tip and description of the type def to cascade in all subVIs it is used.

This is very important for me as I am entering CLD in 1 month 

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 68
(5,248 Views)