Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD Exam and the LabVIEW Style Checklist

Hi All,

I've been programming in LabVIEW since 2001.  I've created many large, complex applications in LabVIEW for data aquisitions, communication and motion control.  I've taken all the core courses, some of them twice.  I finally got my CLAD certification last month, and I am now preparing for the CLD.  Needless to say, it is a bit overwhelming.  I downloaded the CLD Success Package with the intent to grind through the preparation one step at a time, but I am now thinking that doing so would take me a few lifetimes.

For instance, one of the first things we read is that all the code we write needs to adhere to the LabVIEW Style Checklist.  Does that mean we need to be comfortable using evefew hours, but if there are 100 items on that checklist that take me a few hours to understand, then I won't be able to take the CLD exam any time soon.  Do I need to use classes in the CLD exam?  Are there any elements of the style checklist I do not need to know in order to pass the exam?

I'll keep grinding away.  At the same time, I will look for posts about strategies to prep for the CLD as efficiently as possible.  If anyone has any advice for me, I am always happy to hear it.

Thanks very much!

Forbes Black
Lapsed CLAD, LV 5 - LV 2022 (Yeah, I'm that old...)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,685 Views)

If you have the experience you've mentioned, I wouldn't worry too much about it functionally you'll probably be fine.  I'm not saying it is easy, but all that is needed is a single loop state machine or QMH.  I used an array of strings for my state using the built in template as a start.  It sounds like you may struggle with style and that can be a time sink for sure.  All I can suggest is practice on one of the examples and post your results here if you don't mind some criticism.  You are probably already doing many of the things the style guide recommends and maybe are only forgetting to do a few best practice things.

As for classes, I didn't use any in my CLD, and I didn't use any in my CLA.  They aren't a requirement, but if your brain works with objects better then it might be a design you are more comfortable with.

Message 2 of 3
(3,683 Views)

"All I can suggest is practice on one of the examples and post your results here if you don't mind some criticism."

OK, that sounds like a plan.  You will all get to see what a self-taught monstrosity my LV code can be, but maybe you will put me on the path to redemption.

Thanks!

Forbes Black
Lapsed CLAD, LV 5 - LV 2022 (Yeah, I'm that old...)
Message 3 of 3
(3,675 Views)