Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD ATM Problem (1-19-15) for review

Hello,

Attached is my ATM attempt.  I did use a template for the icons. I hope it carries forward in the zip file. If not please let me know.

thanks,

Jose

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,638 Views)

Not a bad effort:  Some things I noticed.

• Wired Terminal not on root block diagram that will cost you on the exam
  • File path constant is absolute not relative.  This garuntees a style point hit and one for functionality since your submission will likely throw error 7 and quit when the file cannot be found on your e-drive
  • I am not a fan of auto-populating folders.  This might not get you a deduction but its a bad habit.  When you realize (on a larger project) you need to move some stuff around Virtual folders are far more manageable.

Functionally, I disagree with your file update method.  True file I/O should be managed in a sane manner.  but, this is an ATM containing financial information.  What happens on error? Just tossing out those transactions cavillely will make the bank close its doors quickly and anger your customers.   What would be the effect if the database file moved to a network and you added some more machines for your customers convinience?  If you had built an Action Engine that always read or wrote and closed the file itself you would merely need to manage an simple timeout for access not granted please try again.  It would also get the data off your BDwhere some follow-on developer starts messing with it in ways that break core functionality.   Ben's famous Action Engine Nugget is always a good read. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 9
(5,626 Views)

I agree with the points Jeff said.  The only comment I would say is don't worry about the autopopulate folders.  Yes for real projects you might want to think about not using them, but for this I highly doubt you'll get points taken away for it.  Heck I'm not even positive that NI looks for project files.  When I did mine I put the code in a project but I wasn't sure it was needed and just did it out of worry it would be required.

Good job on the comments, and tip strips, and documentation.  Many people neglect this.  You almost have too many comments on the block diagram but that is just a preference thing and I'm sure it is fine.

I opened it in 2014 but saw several un-needed wire bends.  It might just be compiling for a new version, but if not try to avoid them.

You might want to think about using wire labels instead of floating comments when commenting on the data on a wire.  Or just color the label transparent.

I saw a mix of controls having white or transparent labels on their block diagram terminals.  Not sure if this is an issue but I'd try to be consistent with which ever you prefer.

I could nitpick a few other minor things but I think you did a pretty good job.

Message 3 of 9
(5,614 Views)

Heck I'm not even positive that NI looks for project files.  When I did mine I put the code in a project but I wasn't sure it was needed and just did it out of worry it would be required.

Failure to implement the solution and provide the project on the USB supplied results in no grade and a failure per CLD test documentation under the current guidelines.  The newer cover sheet is an improvement.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,612 Views)

I'm not saying you are wrong.  But in all the example PDF exams I found online, none had the word "Project" in them.  And I don't remember reading that in the actual CLD I took, but then again I may have just not saw it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,609 Views)

Did the icons come out okay on your end? I used a template to make the icon and wasn't sure if project pulled in the template or the way I wanted the icons to look.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,596 Views)

Did the icons come out okay on your end? I used a template to make the icon and wasn't sure if project pulled in the template or the way I wanted the icons to look.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,595 Views)

The icons looked fine here.  Sorta plain with just black and white text, but certainly adequate.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,585 Views)

The wired terminals not on root BD was very interesting Jeff, thanks for the link.

I also noticed some random floating string constants near your unwired terminal on the case structure.  I am not sure if these were going to be used but you ran out of time but I would definitely take a quick look to make sure you don't have junk on the BD.

Overall I thought it was really good style and documentation wise.  As always I will take the time to plug subdiagram labels.  Right-click structures and select them from visible items I think it makes the documentation seem more ordered.

When are you going to be taking the CLD?

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 9 of 9
(5,572 Views)