cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD 2 question poorly phrased?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

(Still a forum newbie here, so anything I did you please let me know).

I am currently preparing for the CLD exame and I am going through the exercises. I got stucked on the 2nd exercise.

I understand this exercise is about testing our understanding of how FGV works. And my understanding of FGV is the following:

1. You use FGV when you want to perform certain functions and while preventing race condition.

2.  You do so by using the shift register to save the last known value.

We were asked to use the Time Elapsed express vi to complete the exercise. However the express vi itself is a text-book example of a FGV. All the race condition aspects are already handled by the express vi, so I wasn't sure what exactly are we trying to achieve with this exercise.

Then when I look at the solution, I can see that they are trying to do:

Basically, once the function is called to a certain state, all the parameters that was required in the spec should be freezed to the last known state, by using the shift registers inside the FGV design pattern. eg. when the FGV is in the "Read Status" state, the "Time Target (s)", and "Auto Reset (F)" parameters will be freezed at the last known state. So even if you change the "Time Target (S)" on the front panel, it will do nothing as long as it is the "Read Status".

But none of this is stated in the  exercise document (or the Requirement Spec as I see it).

Am I missing something? Or is there a general consensus that this exercise is poorly written? I am just worried that if this is what to expect in the exam, I may fail miserably just by mis-interpreting the question!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,501 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yu-An

You are adding state information to the timer, like whether or not to autoreset.  The Elapsed Time Express VI will still do almost all of the work.  But you do have a few extra things to add in there.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,494 Views)

Thanks for the reply crossrulz,

Right now I am just pushing through the exercises. My answers are never exactly the same as the solution. But I guess as long as I fulfill what is asked by the document, it is ok. There is more than one way to solve the problem.

Thanks

Yu-An

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,467 Views)