Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLA ATM Example SD1B

Another requirements question.

SD1B First Name - Text, maximum of 256 characters

Then it says - "You may choose to store and/or  implement each eleement with any data type that meets these requirements".  

The string data type allows 4 billion + characters.  If it said 'minimum of 256' fair enough but the fact that it says maximum to me means that the the string cannot exceed 256 characters.  The string control doesn't allow for this and I don't think there is a way to forbid > 256 in a string control.

Anyone got any ideas, am I reading this wrong?  Is it acceptable to just insert a string control as in the ATM example?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,513 Views)

Is it acceptable to just insert a string control as in the ATM example?

As long as you also enclude the comment "#REQ_SD1B Limit this string length to 256 chars" I'm sure your Jr. developer will figure out how to accomplish the requirement.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,506 Views)

Jeff´s solution is pragmatic and this pragmatism, you need in the CLA exam.

In REAL life, I would take the 256 chars very serious (as there may arise a security issue), but in CLA exam you could simply take

a string, leave a comment and trust your junior developer.

The sample solution generally gives an idea what is important for evaluation and what not - my personal opinion:

maybe more comment/documentation in your solution than in sample solution could give you decisive points)

Generally, for deserving to be CLA, you have to overcome the lower instinct to develop the whole cool stuff on your own

and learn to delegate (so you have in real work enough time to dance in the triangle of cost-time-quality Smiley Frustrated)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,489 Views)