From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

[IDLE] CLUG - Charlotte LabVIEW User Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIRST Robotics

I'm new to this Group and to LabView.  I am helping with the 2017 FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) programming group for Team T-Rex, which meets near the Charlotte airport in a large building there equipped with a FabLab and other essentials. We use LabView to set up the firmware in the robot brain, which is a RoboRio unit from National Instruments.

First Robotics is a huge national effort to get kids interested in STEM.  It has 4 main programs in robotics, and the FRC is the highest level and involves high-schoolers.  The T-Rex team alone will help 50 to 60 students get excited about robotics and STEM, and it will hopefully lead them to apply the skills they learn in further education and their careers.  Of course it builds their management and people skills at the same time.  I believe this is the best way for kids to understand that all that geek stuff is lots of fun when applied to real world problems.  I think it's critical that we geeks get more young people involved in technology, and I bet you do too.  You can see more about FIRST Robotics at http://www.firstnorthcarolina.org

Team T-Rex was the winner of the 2016 North Carolina competition, and we plan on winning again this year. To do that, I'm gonna need some help with LabView because I'm really not familiar with it.  I have looked thru some of the tutorials and have a feel for its power and complexity, but that alone will not cut it.  Can you help?  Please give me a call or drop me an email so we can discuss it some more.  Your high-schooler would be welcoms to join team T-Rex also.

Jim Simpson

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(4,974 Views)