BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brainstorming about carrier options; should I learn a second computer language? :)

Hello,

I would like to ask the opinion of those who are more experienced and more aware of recent trends in industry + R&D. One thing which comes to my mind recently, is whether it would be useful to master a second computer language beside LV? The other thing in the present is that, I often brainstorm about where I should lead my carrier in the close future?

I am a 37 y old physicist by qualifications (MSc and PhD in physics) but recently I would say, work more as a "technician"/LV programmer in a research center doing some technical physics experiments. This involves a little project management (meaning some paperwork to give reports for the budget responsibles), building up experimental rigs, programming them usually with LabVIEW (otherwise other colleagues manage this part using Siemens platforms, PLCs and PCS7 soft). Also, I supervise ongoing experiments/projects, analyzing data, and writing either publications (or supporting others writing them) or giving reports. So in a nutshell, this is the kind of work environment I am in the last 6-7 years until today, lets say.

Before this part of my carrier, I worked on my PhD topic/thesis from 2006 to ~2010. I learned solid state physics, and the actual PhD work was related to a mainly application oriented topic of non-destructive analysis of steel components used in the industry (Barkhausen-noise). This meant developing measurement equipment mainly for laboratory tests, but also examining available industrial application, and comparing these approaches to the theoretical findings/models in the literature. Beside performing experiments, I developed some simple numerical tools for data analysis using ANSI C, and I did some basic computer simulation work (also C - non-object oriented) to compare theoretical models with my experimental data.

Recently -maybe we could call it "mid-life crisis" ( 😄 )-, I often think about which way I should try to govern my carrier (and also which country? 🙂 ). Do not misunderstand me, I like my recent job, but in some aspects I do not feel enough challenges in it. We mainly benchmark technologies to see if certain methods are viable or not. Some of these experiments involve interesting fundamental research questions, but most of them are "just" looking for performance results of different variants of an existing technique. Building up such experimental rigs are fun, however they do not give me much challenge in hardware management, since the required solutions mostly are standard and repeated many times: measuring/controlling temperatures, pressures, flows, valves, data logging, display, and monitoring, etc.. These projects only require ~medium sized LabVIEW applications to develop, and because I work alone on these (practically I am the only one here with CLD level, or even with CLAD), I lack of any mentoring, so I am also kind of stuck with my present programming skills and style.

Next year around this time I will probably already know whether I stay at my actual work place longer, or not (i mean if the employer offers a new contract or not). If not (or I decide so), I will need to look for new opportunities. To be honest, I still cannot really decide which field would attract me better, or which one is more suitable for me? 🙂

Moving to the academic route back, and get involved in some fundamental research? In this case for sure I would prefer to look and learn some new topic in physics or in a multi-disciplinary field (which is usually more fun). I would even consider to take a 2nd PhD scholarship, to master a new topic (robotics? biophysics?, ... there are just so many interesting hot topics nowadays)...

Or should I (try) to become more a "real" LV programmer, and work in industry? Would I like to program in my full work time? I am not sure...maybe..., I never tried! 🙂 Of course I might find something interesting in industry where the work would involve more R&D and not only sitting at the desk...

To summarize, I think my main problem recently is the lack of mentoring, and pressure to master my existing skills further plus learn interesting new ones. Of course I learned very useful things in the last years here, but I feel I might do more in another place or environment which is more stimulating...?

Anyway, sorry for a bit unstructured/messy "brainstorming" above, and I would get back to my original question: If I want to learn some text-based language beside LabVIEW, what would be more useful for my future? C++? Python? Some other things also in my mind, I see for example at many job adverts that Matlab is an advantage (I know Matlab is more a scripting language)...

It would be also interesting to dig into LabVIEW RT and FPGA deeper, but we do not really use these here (FPGA not at all), so no recent need for such apps, neither we have such HW...

Message 1 of 29
(11,397 Views)

I think of this too, we are about the same age.  For me, Act I of my career was software LabVIEW.  Act II has been supplemented with LabVIEW FPGA.  It definitely uses my existing knowledge but it many ways turned my programming world upside down since it is all very different.  LabVIEW FPGA is also in a greater state of flux than LabVIEW so it is more exciting.  Even if no new features are introduced for a given year, the new FPGA targets make LV FPGA exciting.

My feeling would lean towards Python or Matlab, languages which I hear a lot of but wish I knew.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
Message 2 of 29
(11,376 Views)

Traitor!

Even the thought of going to the dark (text) text side...

Smiley-wink

Of course you should learn another language. It will force you to think about things differently and that will be good knowledge to have when you face new challenges.

The approach my better-half and I have used is to look to the help-wanted adds and see where there is a market. You can probably rule out COBOL but C++ will let you develop an OOPish part of your brain.

Also think about where you want to be when. You may want to take on something terribly boring that pays top money so that you can squirrel away your money and get out while the going is still good.

Just my opinion.

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 29
(11,375 Views)

In a discussion of Python vs Matlab, Python can be had for free. And any language named after wacky British comedy team of the 70's-90's has my vote. Due to two recent projects I began to dabble in Python, though LabVIEW is my first love.  I second Ben's observation that learning a new language will  get you thinking in new ways, I remember when I took up LabVIEW after many years programming in a variety of text languages. It made my head literally hurt! I think that I was using a different hemisphere, know that how I "looked" at code and the structure of my programs changed. At the time I could be asked about some function in one of my programs (text, Pascal) and roll my eyes back and visualize where in the thousands of lines of code for them to look, but when I started dreaming in LabVIEW (really, go to bed with an unsolved programming problem, see it in that state between sleep and awake) was when I knew that I had found my spot. I have always been a visual person, sketching out problems, doing flow charting to see what were the really critical points in a problem path.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 4 of 29
(11,316 Views)

Oh, I see! 🙂

Message 5 of 29
(11,308 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

Oh, I see! 🙂

Staying with that theme but questioning I can relate in words what is best said with the spoken language...

Spoiler

"What are you waiting for? Get Mooooooooving! "

Spoiler
Think cow coming over the ramparts.

Spoiler

Ditto to the "seeing the LV code" point. I sit in kick-off meetings and visualize the code as the specs are being revealed. And with the new channel wires, the images are more clear than ever.

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29
(11,306 Views)

I don't want too spoil your fun in the middle of a mid-life crisis.

Spoiler

I do want you too know that you can reach out to me.  

Isn't it fun to achieve all you can at a great employer only to find out.... now where?  Or, did I miss-hear something there?  You've been around the forums for awhile so, it should not be a shock too you that LabVIEW is not my first language.  Certainly, learn whatever languages you can but, use it on vacations ("Er, Put-eh ju" will get you 2 glasses of white wine in some parts of the world)  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29
(11,291 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

I don't want too spoil your fun in the middle of a mid-life crisis.

Spoiler

I do want you too know that you can reach out to me.  

Isn't it fun to achieve all you can at a great employer only to find out.... now where?  Or, did I miss-hear something there?  You've been around the forums for awhile so, it should not be a shock too you that LabVIEW is not my first language.  Certainly, learn whatever languages you can but, use it on vacations ("Er, Put-eh ju" will get you 2 glasses of white wine in some parts of the world)  

Thanks! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29
(11,280 Views)

Another approach to your search is "the road less traveled". It has worked out well for me looking at what everyone else is doing and then do something "completely different". It will make for boring conversation at cocktail parties but it is often very lucrative.

Spoiler

I remember my instructor from back at DEC that taught troubleshooting of PDP-11-70s about 1983. Most people did not even have a good idea what a computer was then let alone fix one that was not working and then teaching that skill.

No wonder he always drank his lunch before heading down to the multi-acre computer lab to get lost in a row of hardware cabinets.

Ben

Message 9 of 29
(11,272 Views)

I've already sent a PM but here's my public response:

I joined my current employer about 5 years ago thinking I was a veteran LV programmer.  I since learned RT and FPGA programming and these are areas which are extremely interesting but it's still all LabVIEW.

I think the idea of making a modification to one's career choices may or may not be accellerated by the arrival of NXG any time now.  Seeing how the support for our existing LV versions will eventually fade, will we be facing a re-schooling either way?  How long will we even be able to program in Vanilla LV?

I have been seriously tempted to get some electronics or SPS knowledge / experience in order to enhance my existing knowedge (coming from an analytical science background) but haven't quite reached tipping point yet.  Maybe NXG is the push I need to actually make that move.

Either way, the fact that you're re-evaluating is always a good thing.

Message 10 of 29
(11,221 Views)