BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing about LabVIEW in Literature

(I hope this is the appropriate board for this query; it has nothing to do with programming, after all.)

Are there any particular guidlines or suggestions when it comes to describing a LabVIEW program in scientific literature?  From what little I have seen, I gather that it is generally inadvisable to discuss (much less display pictorially) specific segments of code, and that it is best to merely discuss the program flow in general terms.

Are there any specific journals that I should consult for good examples?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(14,611 Views)
(Was that the wrong question?)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(14,571 Views)

kehander wrote:
Are there any particular guidlines or suggestions when it comes to describing a LabVIEW program in scientific literature?  From what little I have seen, I gather that it is generally inadvisable to discuss (much less display pictorially) specific segments of code, and that it is best to merely discuss the program flow in general terms.

The question is probably not clear enough for an answer. 🙂

It really depends what the focus of the article is.

If you write an article about labview action engines or programming techniques for example, you probably would need to display some code pictures and be very specific about the details of the code.

However, if you just did some analysis and happen to use LabVIEW (instead of some other suitable programming language), it is probaly sufficient to describe the algorithm and mention that you used LabVIEW. Tha'ts what I typically do. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(14,568 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

If you write an article about labview action engines or programming techniques for example, you probably would need to display some code pictures and be very specific about the details of the code.

I see. A silly question, perhaps, but are there journals where people regularly do that?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(14,554 Views)
IEEE Software
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(14,512 Views)

@RJay wrote:
IEEE Software

As in http://www.computer.org/portal/site/software// ?  For some reason searching for "labview" using the Search link on the left side turns up no results...

Anyway, a software engineering journal (?) isn't really what I had in mind.  It suddenly occurs to me that for some reason I never checked Rev Sci Instrum.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(14,503 Views)
Were you thinking more in terms of EDN, EE Times, Test & Measurements type of publications?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(14,456 Views)
No, by "literature" I was thinking of peer-reviewed scientific journals.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(14,454 Views)
In all the articles I have written or contributed to, I mention the software was written in LabVIEW and maybe have a general flow block diagram where appropriate.  In all cases, the software was not the focus of the article, just a means to get the results that were the focus of the article.  So no front panels or block diagrams were part of the articles.

Message Edited by rpursley8 on 04-01-2008 10:28 AM
Randall Pursley
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(14,404 Views)

Writing about LabVIEW in Literature review , as in prefer to use labview what are the citation one can use to backup his view

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(12,128 Views)