BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why some people say Local Variables are bad...

I would never pass the certification.

The guy testing me was certified.

0 Kudos
Message 381 of 395
(8,207 Views)

@nyc_(is_out_of_here) wrote:

I would never pass the certification.

Well, then that job was not for you anyway. 😉

Yes, CLD and CLA are quite tough, but anyone should be able to pass the CLAD after learning the basics and programming for a while. Like at the DMV, you are even allowed a few wrong answers. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 382 of 395
(8,205 Views)

To me the CLAD isn't worth much.

I would not be able to pass the CLD.

0 Kudos
Message 383 of 395
(8,203 Views)

You won't with that attitude.  You've been around these boards enough, you should be able to write a program in 4 hours.  Yes, the CLD was kind of brutal, but people make it out to be worse than it really is.  Just document very well and use good style and you are very close to passing.  I recommend going through the Certification board if you even remotely interested in going for the CLD.

Christian, have you even taken the CLA yet?  I just noticed you got your CLD!

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 384 of 395
(8,186 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

You won't with that attitude.  You've been around these boards enough, you should be able to write a program in 4 hours.  Yes, the CLD was kind of brutal, but people make it out to be worse than it really is.  Just document very well and use good style and you are very close to passing.  I recommend going through the Certification board if you even remotely interested in going for the CLD.

I am just one of those people that don't test well.

It is a moot point at this juncture since I don't have the extra $ to take the CLAD much less the CLD.

0 Kudos
Message 385 of 395
(8,177 Views)

I agree with Christian's comment that Locals are sometimes the better way.  I might have a bit of fun answering that first question and defend my point about Locals...  Anyone that recognizes me on these forums know exactly how I feel about Locals... not because of the Locals, but because of the constant abuse and obfuscation that results from over-utilizing them.  🙂

I think the title of the thread would need to change... slightly..  After all....  Locals are not inherently bad...

0 Kudos
Message 386 of 395
(8,131 Views)

The title is "Why some people say ..."

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 387 of 395
(8,090 Views)

Yeah.....  I guess some = Ray in this case.. LOL!  😄

0 Kudos
Message 388 of 395
(8,064 Views)

Just to add to this old thread, here's another one of those (seen here)...

(not a single terminal connected, some terminal labels hidden, etc.)

0 Kudos
Message 389 of 395
(7,869 Views)

This is a screenshot of the first application I built by myself. I had three while loops and couldn't figure out how I was supposed to get the FP information from one loop to another without locals or property nodes. I thought I was being clever because it was so easy to create more local variables in the future if I knew the terminals were all located at the top.

Yup.PNG

I'd like to think I've gotten a bit better.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 390 of 395
(7,856 Views)