From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is LabVIEW named so..............

why is LabVIEW containing a mixture of lower case and upper case alphabets. Does it signify something?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,986 Views)
Hi muks,
you can use wikipedia or google or some other search to find it out. Smiley Happy
LabVIEW

Mike

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 08-02-2008 03:24 PM
Message 2 of 7
(8,983 Views)
Thanx for the link mike.But with the expansion and the features,It could very well have been called "labview" or "LABVIEW".Why is that mixture of cases?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,979 Views)

Oh bother!

I was so excited about being able to reply using this emoticon

that Mike beat me to the answer.

If you look at the text in the wiki that Mike cited you will see

"LabVIEW (short for Laboratory Virtual Instrumentation Engineering Workbench) "

The upper case letter signify the start of each word.

At one point my boss was tossing any resume that did not spell LabVIEW correctly figuring that if they did not know how to spell it correctly...

Ben

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 7
(8,976 Views)
Ben, in general I agree (both to the know-how-to-spell-it and the search-first points). Here's a thread from LAVA about this from a while back.

The spelling of LabVIEW is strange in order of provide "insiders" a way to identify "outsiders".  It's the same reason that Mac OS X is pronounced as "oh es ten" instead of "oh es ex".

Now you know.  Welcome to the club 🙂

Message 6 of 7
(8,819 Views)

Jim,

Thanks, with 35 minutes of the day left I finally learned something! (here I had been foolishly calling it OS-eks all this time...)

Message 7 of 7
(8,771 Views)