BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the meaning of this!!! (your user icon)

Hopefully my icon speaks for itself this season :).  I had a much more clear icon but the site it was hosted on got taken down (probably for copyright reasons).  Gotta love how the athletics dept can trademark a long-standing university symbol....

Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
Message 21 of 208
(8,702 Views)

@Ben:

Everyone together now... aaawwww! Smiley Very Happy

That is exactly why I ask, seems like everyone has a reason or story...

Message 22 of 208
(8,697 Views)
@Travis M.

Could be worse, I could put up the logo of the other Texas school that I went to... but very few would recognize it anyhow Smiley Wink
Message 23 of 208
(8,698 Views)

BTW

Excellent question Matt!

I have enjoyed reading the stories that go behind the icons.

Anyone else willing to share their reason?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 24 of 208
(8,666 Views)
I don't have an avatar, but if I did it would be one of the many spectacular images of the universe that are displayed on "Astronomy Picture of the Day". These images just go to show you how teeny (some would say insignificant) we really are in comparison to the whole kit and kaboodle that's out there, and that sometimes we just need to get a little perspective.

I was looking at getting your own image uploaded for an avatar, but there doesn't seem to be a direct way to do this via the profile pages. You can provide a URL, but that would require hosting the image on an external site, and I think it would be better to have an avatar image hosted on the NI site. Short of creating a dummy post with the image so that the URL to the attached image can be used I can't seem to see how else to do it. In fact, the latter method seems to be how some of the avatars of some folks is done, based solely on the URLs for the avatar images.
Message 25 of 208
(8,643 Views)

This thread was created to hold icons.

"...and that sometimes we just need to get a little perspective."

That same thing hit me again last week after watching some big bang stuff. I was watching the sunset and attempted to see the sun in terms of the big picture. It is definately humbling.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 26 of 208
(8,625 Views)
When I see your icon and name, I always think "Gentle Ben" every time. Seriously!

No reason or excuse for my various icons; I've posted more on LAVA than here and just point to my icon on LAVA.

I need to do some soul searching and find something appropriate. Either that or make up my mind to TAKE OVER THE WORLD like tst
but I confess I'd be more of a Pinky (snort!)

Message Edited by Phillip Brooks on 09-13-2007 02:36 PM

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 27 of 208
(8,595 Views)

Hi Phillp,

Yes I remeber Gentle Ben as well as Ben from Grizzly Adams.

Your icon appears to be from the cast of South Park but I cna't recall the name. I want to associate that character with a machine gun for some reason (?). Smiley Tongue or is that an NI Eagle?

So why did you choose that icon for use on LAVA?

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 208
(8,556 Views)

It's a custom character from one of the South Park Avatar sites. I placed the favico from the NI site on the shirt and coffee cup to personalize it a bit more. I used the "Mickey Mouse" glove from the NI forums library when I registered on the NI site, but updated it to the current one when I thought about people recognizing me on different forums. I haven't decided if I should change my LAVA name to my real name to keep it all consistant.

I use the "LV Punk" name on LAVA as a play on my name. There is a wrestler named Phil Brooks that goes by the name CM Punk, and I liked the sound of LV Punk. CM Punk is supposed to be a "straight edge" guy and his tag line is (was?) "I'm drug-free, alchohol-free and BETTER THAN YOU." I changed it to "global-free, sequence structure-free and BETTER THAN YOU" but got tired of it and now just use my "data & algorithms = programming" artwork (see below).

Message Edited by Phillip Brooks on 09-14-2007 09:03 AM

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 29 of 208
(8,552 Views)
(have a nice week-end, to all the icon-people! Robot Happy )
Message 30 of 208
(8,537 Views)