BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this used for??

While not an answer the cahllenge of thoult I thought some of you may be interested in thses videos available on YouTube that give you an idea of what the early days of computers was like and the amazing things you can do with mechanical insturments.

Navy Gun Fire Control computer mark I

My early training in the Navy included that material becuase most of the computers used in the Navy back then were still mechanical.

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 37
(4,739 Views)

@Ben wrote:

... back then were still mechanical.

Fancy! All I ever used was similar to this: 😄

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 37
(4,721 Views)

For any who might have been wondering...

Spoiler
My object was a planimeter. Used for measuring areas mechanically, the three things I've used them for are:

- Estimating plot acreages on a map
- Estimating moment of area for complex beam profiles
- Most commonly, measuring the area on an indicator graph for a steam engine, used to determine power output of a steam engine
---
CLA
Message 33 of 37
(4,710 Views)

I love the embellishment on the tongs(?), you don't see that nowadays.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 37
(4,687 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

I love the embellishment on the tongs(?), you don't see that nowadays.

/Y

Rigth 🙂

Design ( embellishment) of instruments and tools at that time was not dictated by controllers and simple functional design. The joy of using is also visual.

Take a look at old high quality hand saws, the handle and etched or engraves pictures / markings 🙂  

Stuff you buy once, use it your live time and hand them over to the next generation.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 37
(4,661 Views)

@thoult wrote:

If I may, here's one from me. I've been looking for one of these for a long time for my father, but am tempted to just make one myself. As a result, I've had to steal a picture from the web.

whatisit.jpg

Wow, ancient thread to revive 😄

Digging through my old collection of purely analog measuring devices, here's a picture of my planimeter. Swiss made and in fantastic shape.... (there are even some handwritten calibration notes 🐵

altenbach_1-1606261673191.png

I also have a vintage caliper that is so accurate that you need to equilibrate it at 20 degrees C before using! The proverbial Swiss precision!

altenbach_2-1606261958863.png

Message 36 of 37
(2,503 Views)

Nice ones 🙂

Some month ago I visited* a calibration lab that still have one skilled person that is able  to rework the surfaces of such calipers.

*) well , I was an assessor, opens some doors also to other labs..

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 37
(2,480 Views)