BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this and what is it used for

Henrik:

Now that we know what it is, what they heck was it used for?

Surely not a 5kW coffee mug warmer!

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 241 of 294
(4,691 Views)

I work at PTB

we have all kind of exstremely parts here 😄 mostly exstemely precise 😉

But since I'm in the acceleration dep., I'll have to ask some fellows, but usually

1. to measure serious currents

2. to calibrate other stuff

I just ask myself: How do they generate 23kA DC current without having my desk lightbulb flickering?

And THAT is real current plumbing 😄 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 242 of 294
(4,683 Views)

I just ask myself: How do they generate 23kA DC current without having my desk lightbulb flickering?

And THAT is real current plumbing 😄 😄

I was lucky to be able to walk inside one of the JET's flywheel generator which was stopped for maintenance a few years ago. Incredible thing 🙂

https://www.euro-fusion.org/fusion/jet-tech/jets-flywheels/

More about large dc currents: once i saw a current lead in for a large magnet. The emergency switch was chemical explosives planted on the aluminium current line Smiley Surprised

Message 243 of 294
(4,607 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

The emergency switch was chemical explosives planted on the aluminium current line Smiley Surprised

"Blow the breaker" makes more sense in that context. The "crowbar" for the power supply used Sea-sparrow missile radars  was literally a crowbar sized shunt that would short out the supply if over-voltage conditions were sensed. There is nothing like having your head inside a cabinet, tweaking to tune a klystron and just as you are getting to acceptable an acceptable tune, the crow-bar would trip sound like a gun going off!

Spoiler

Funny how a defective RF gasket in a section of waveguide can make for a very bad day.  High SWR is not good.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 244 of 294
(4,589 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@Blokk wrote:

The emergency switch was chemical explosives planted on the aluminium current line Smiley Surprised

"Blow the breaker" makes more sense in that context. The "crowbar" for the power supply used Sea-sparrow missile radars  was literally a crowbar sized shunt that would short out the supply if over-voltage conditions were sensed. There is nothing like having your head inside a cabinet, tweaking to tune a klystron and just as you are getting to acceptable an acceptable tune, the crow-bar would trip sound like a gun going off!

Spoiler

Funny how a defective RF gasket in a section of waveguide can make for a very bad day.  High SWR is not good.

Ben

or even several bad months when the VSWR alarm goes off almost every day (And, just before evening mess call to boot!) you can miss a lot of dinners trying to find that root cause.

Spoiler
So one evening I was cutting through officer country and found some Ensign DOING PULLUPS on the waveguide!  "Oh I do that every day for Physical Training, unless I'm on Watch!" - He came dangerously close to accidentally falling overboard just about then.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 245 of 294
(4,553 Views)

Last night while tending to the orchard I found two of these.

What are they and what are they good for?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 246 of 294
(4,486 Views)

Aliens in Bens garden 😄

Some insects like Gall wasps are able to make plants building their home ....

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 247 of 294
(4,482 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

Aliens in Bens garden 😄

Some insects like Gall wasps are able to make plants building their home ....

Getting close but no cigar!

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 248 of 294
(4,479 Views)

Hint #1

Spoiler

You can buy them online.

Hint #2

Spoiler

"Bolero"

Hint #3

Spoiler

Ben

Message 249 of 294
(4,464 Views)
Zorak!
Message 250 of 294
(4,448 Views)