BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is "Vi"?

Vi actually mean Wine in Catalan. Something to ponder for the weekend. 😄

Cheers everybody!

(Story: trying to translate the name of this restaurant here in Santa Monica, but google translate failed to guess the language correctly. ("Taberna Rice And Vi" from spanish). Entering only Vi, it thinks it is swedish for "we". I took a wild guess for Catalan, and things made more sense: "Taberna Arrós y Vi"="Rice Tavern and Wine". Maybe I am wrong.... :D)

Message 1 of 23
(8,947 Views)

In Norwegian it means "we" like in "We should have a glass of wine":)

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
Message 2 of 23
(8,908 Views)

@altenbach wrote:
I took a wild guess for Catalan, and things made more sense: "Taberna Arrós y Vi"="Rice Tavern and Wine". Maybe I am wrong.... :D)

Try "Rice and Wine Tavern" (or "Tavern of Rice and Wine", if you want to keep the same sentence structure).

(8,906 Views)

@tst wrote:

@altenbach wrote:
I took a wild guess for Catalan, and things made more sense: "Taberna Arrós y Vi"="Rice Tavern and Wine". Maybe I am wrong.... :D)

Try "Rice and Wine Tavern" (or "Tavern of Rice and Wine", if you want to keep the same sentence structure).

Of course I would.

However I was just quoting the google translation from catalan verbatim, which actually was "Rice Tavern and Wine" and does sound a bit weird. 😉

The wondering if I am wrong was about the language choice: Maybe there is yet another language which would translate even better. Who knows?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(8,903 Views)

Rice and wine sounds like a dull combination ...

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(8,893 Views)

So good wine is Vi. Bottom shelf stuff is sub-vi?

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 6 of 23
(8,876 Views)

Adding more information to the thread:

In portuguese, Vi is the same as Saw (past tense of the verb to See). The verb To see stands for "Ver".

Therefore, if I would like to say that I saw the VI... Eu vi o V.I. (I saw the V.I.).

Regards

Mondoni
Message 7 of 23
(8,853 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@tst wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Of course I would.

However I was just quoting the google translation from catalan verbatim, which actually was "Rice Tavern and Wine" and does sound a bit weird. 😉

The wondering if I am wrong was about the language choice: Maybe there is yet another language which would translate even better. Who knows?

Mathematics

vi = 0b110

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 8 of 23
(8,841 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Mathematics

vi = 0b110

Did you verify this with my program ? 😄

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(8,836 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

Mathematics

vi = 0b110

Did you verify this with my program ? 😄

I didn't want to infringe on your IP-  besides- I usually don't use computor assisted aids for 1-off computations on grammar school subjects.  This can lead to errors when I cannot be exactly represented as a float.

Humm... what is the proper notation to differentiate 40(Roman) and extra large.  Its still decimal but 0D would just really confuse everyone.  No wonder they sacked Rome! BAD MATH!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(8,830 Views)