BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What hardware do you regularly use with LV?

MIO. We have one or more at a test station, maxing out the channel counts with regularity.

We use them to in our closed loop control systems (ugh), but because our response times are in the 10's of ms range or higher, it all seems to work out OK. Gives me the heebie-jeebies though. Doing this stuff in Windows makes me nervous as h-e-double hockey stix.

I know, I know... but please don't spam me with suggestions for using RT or LV FPGA. I don't control the purse strings around here, and really dislike sales pitches. I would switch over to a PLC anyway if these suckas weren't drowning in the LabVIEW KoolAid. 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(6,089 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Well, one of my computers (120 MHz Pentium I, 64MB of RAM, 1GB HD) still uses an AT-MIO-16E-1. (ISA bus!!! for those who remember). Since a single device under Windows 95 only allowed a limited number of DMA channels (if I remember that right), it actually shows up as two devices in the device manager. 😉

I remember those.  Wasn't there an AT-MIO-16E-10 also?  That card was the first NI card I ever used and I m anaged to blow a few of the digital ports during my experiments by connecting things wrongly....  Never told my supervisor though... Smiley Embarassed

I think even with the ISA bus we were using only a fraction of the capabilities back then.  Although I don't have any of it anymore, I think looking at my LV code from back then would either frighten the life out of me or give me a good laugh, depending on what kind of mood I'm in.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(6,075 Views)

My first project was a test-setup with a SCXI rack with I/O modules and LabVIEW 4.

I still build some test-setups. All built with different hardware.

Two pictures (1 and 2) shows a tester with a PXI rack (from Pickering) with NI and Pickering HW. This tester was built to test over 30 different modules (with different pin layout) at the connector at the right lower corner. At picture 2 you can see a testficture for an additional module.

Picture 3 is showing a tester with equipment connected through GPIB. Behind the equipment a DAQ chassis (DAQ-9178) to connect to the different 24V I/O.

Picture 4 shows a tester with Equipment from Agilent (PSU) and Yokogawa.

So many different solutions for various applications.

Kees

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(6,055 Views)

pictures?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(6,047 Views)

The numbers are hyperlinks to the pictures, but I don't know if thsi will work for others.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(6,043 Views)

Yes, they seem to work now. (site is extremely flakey today....)

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(6,037 Views)

Not able to post pictures..... But my applications have been high-accuracy measurements of DC current and voltage to verify test equipment performance. Also have done temperature measurements using RTDs as sensors.

Use PXI-4071 DMM for VDC and 4-wire R/T measurements. Use PXI-4141 4-ch SMU for zero-burden DC current measurements. 

Use PXI-2530 multiplexers to enable testing of a large number of sources on the equipment and PXI-2569 relay to provide a continuous current path for each the sources when not measuring its current by selecting its multiplexer channel.

Interface between the PXI modules and the stress equipment is handled by PCBs and custom cabling that I designed and procured, and can be used either actively to drive the DUTs individually from the SMU or DMMs or passively to act as a "fly-on-the-wall" verification of stress conditions applied by the equipment.

Jeff

Jeffrey Zola
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(5,968 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

But one of the coolest things (at least I thought is was really cool) was using the PXI-7813R to generate a sample clock for the PXI-5421.  With that setup, I was able to take a customer supplied waveform and do a frequency sweep with it.

I do like those FPGA cards too, and am interested in seeing what the MyRIO can do in comparison.  There is something pure when dealing with FPGA programming that I enjoy.

That being said you can perform a hardware timed frequency sweep using a counter output too.  Of course I don't know the whole picture so maybe using this method was not an option for some reason.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-32352

EDIT: and to stay on topic I deal with alot of MIO cards.  PCI, PXI, switch matrix, CAN, LIN (XNet), serial (power supply, UPS, frequency generator interface), some Arduino, cDAQ, SPI, and some FPGA.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(5,897 Views)

The hardware I use most are probably a pen and paper followed by my coffee cup.

The longer I program LV the more I tend to grab my pen and paper before writing any code at all.

Than we have several different RT Systems, FPGA cards and so on.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(5,880 Views)

Intaris wrote:

The longer I program LV the more I tend to grab my pen and paper before writing any code at all.

Not to mention the coffee cupSmiley Very Happy

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 20 of 20
(5,862 Views)