From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What (free) software do you recommend for disk imaging

I used to have an Acronis True Image CD that I used to make occasional images of all the computers in the house.  I can't find it, so I need something else.  What do you use and/or recommend?

I made a live-CD of Redo Backup but it hasn't been updated in a while and took five hours to make an image.  (I haven't tested it the other direction yet.)  I've read a bunch of the "Best Free Drive Coloning..." articles, but would rather hear from this group.

Thank you,

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,861 Views)

You can typically go to the website of the drive manufacturer and download a free tool (often a branded and limited acronis version) that does this if the target drive is made by them.

Message 2 of 6
(6,856 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

I used to have an Acronis True Image CD that I used to make occasional images of all the computers in the house.  I can't find it, so I need something else.  What do you use and/or recommend?

I made a live-CD of Redo Backup but it hasn't been updated in a while and took five hours to make an image.  (I haven't tested it the other direction yet.)  I've read a bunch of the "Best Free Drive Coloning..." articles, but would rather hear from this group.

Thank you,

I currently use Clonezilla. I use a Live USB version of it.

Message 3 of 6
(6,837 Views)

@nyc_(is_out_of_here) wrote:

I currently use Clonezilla. [...]

I also prefer Clonezilla.  The project is actively maintained.  If you prefer a free software this should be your choice.
Message 4 of 6
(6,811 Views)

DamnSmallLinux is one of my favorite tools for recovering PC's.  Has all sorts of disk utilities in it.

Message 5 of 6
(6,758 Views)

I started an image with Clonezilla two days ago, but it froze before 20%.  I started it again in the evening and woke in the morning to another frozen attempt.  This time, however, my cooling fan didn't start and I've put everything on hold until I can replace that.

I've used DamnSmallLinux before, but not to image a hard drive.  I'll dig a little deeper.

Thanks,

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,731 Views)