BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What (free) software do you recommend for disk imaging

I used to have an Acronis True Image CD that I used to make occasional images of all the computers in the house.  I can't find it, so I need something else.  What do you use and/or recommend?

I made a live-CD of Redo Backup but it hasn't been updated in a while and took five hours to make an image.  (I haven't tested it the other direction yet.)  I've read a bunch of the "Best Free Drive Coloning..." articles, but would rather hear from this group.

Thank you,

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,864 Views)

You can typically go to the website of the drive manufacturer and download a free tool (often a branded and limited acronis version) that does this if the target drive is made by them.

Message 2 of 6
(6,859 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

I used to have an Acronis True Image CD that I used to make occasional images of all the computers in the house.  I can't find it, so I need something else.  What do you use and/or recommend?

I made a live-CD of Redo Backup but it hasn't been updated in a while and took five hours to make an image.  (I haven't tested it the other direction yet.)  I've read a bunch of the "Best Free Drive Coloning..." articles, but would rather hear from this group.

Thank you,

I currently use Clonezilla. I use a Live USB version of it.

Message 3 of 6
(6,840 Views)

@nyc_(is_out_of_here) wrote:

I currently use Clonezilla. [...]

I also prefer Clonezilla.  The project is actively maintained.  If you prefer a free software this should be your choice.
Message 4 of 6
(6,814 Views)

DamnSmallLinux is one of my favorite tools for recovering PC's.  Has all sorts of disk utilities in it.

Message 5 of 6
(6,761 Views)

I started an image with Clonezilla two days ago, but it froze before 20%.  I started it again in the evening and woke in the morning to another frozen attempt.  This time, however, my cooling fan didn't start and I've put everything on hold until I can replace that.

I've used DamnSmallLinux before, but not to image a hard drive.  I'll dig a little deeper.

Thanks,

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,734 Views)