BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toy recomendations for young Scientists, Engineers, and aspiring geeks

Adafruit creates a clever coloring book for kids. I've recently seen a lot of fun things done with the MaKey MaKey for/by kids (turning nearly anything a key can lead to some really clever ideas). I've also seen pictures on Sparkfun of them teaching fairly young children to solder a Simon Says game.

I saw a really funny article about the best toys of all time (they forgot the "tupperware" cabinet). Personally, I don't think you need much in the beginning. Just nuture creativity, curiosity, and interaction. We'll see if that theory holds up.

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
Message 81 of 110
(10,520 Views)

Just an update.  The LEGO Education 'Simple and Motorized Mechanisms' was the 8 year old's favorite gift!  She picked one of the more ambitious builds for her first and then proceded to 'modify' it.  I may add the pneumatic option for her birthday next year.

Message 82 of 110
(10,456 Views)

I don't think this toy would make the list:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyOD1C67J0&feature=youtu.be

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 83 of 110
(10,354 Views)

@AnalogKid2DigitalMan wrote:

I don't think this toy would make the list

Get 'em started early.

Portugues, but you get the idea. Smiley Wink

Message 84 of 110
(10,323 Views)

Hoberman Spheres. The easiest example of a negative Poisson's ratio structure that you'll ever come across.

Poisson's ratio for most isotropic materials lies between the range 0 - 0.5, but it's still thermodynamically possible to have one less than 0. A Hoberman Sphere exhibits this by expanding laterally when extended in any direction and then contracting laterally when compressed.

They're pretty limited as far as toys go, but they're fascinating structures. You can make a 2D version yourself relatively easily from Meccano or similar. I used to use one for demonstrations and teaching, and still have it sat on my desk today.

http://engineering.columbia.edu/web/newsletterarchive/fall05/images/billgates02.jpg

---
CLA
Message 85 of 110
(10,284 Views)

Lets see what happens if I shake the 8-Ball, Sometimes it works
~~~~~~~~Oh 8-Ball ~~~~~~~~

Lego MindStorm NXT

If you missed yesterday's Keynote at NI Week you missed a future LabVIEW Champion demonstrating mastery of a LabVIEW enviornment---- At the age of TEN!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 86 of 110
(10,257 Views)

My oldest daugther just got 14 and having the choice betweeen a smartphone and a RC-modell she voted for a RC helicopter and was convinced to try a quad copter first 🙂

And  her party cake had to be shaped like a gear-wheel !!   

hgebklein.jpg

OK, ...  usually you hit the gear wheel icon when you want to change properties......    😄 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 87 of 110
(10,030 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

My oldest daugther just got 14 and having the choice betweeen a smartphone and a RC-modell she voted for a RC helicopter 

What child would choose this?  Good for her I guess, smart phones can have addictive properties in children (and adults) and an outdoor activity is better for her.  I just find it surprising is all.

0 Kudos
Message 88 of 110
(9,996 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:
What child would choose this?  [... ]  I just find it surprising is all.

OK let's have a closer look at the socialization .....

both parents engineers,

access to family PC & tablet (OK, only two games installed...)   but restricted access to TV

enjoys math from the first lesson (THANK YOU MRS $teacher ) and  want's to be a (bionic) engineer since age of 8 ... (My fault, took her to a industrial fair (HMI) at that age 😉  since then it was just feeding ......

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 89 of 110
(9,989 Views)

Time has passed and Olivia is now just turing 8 and Eden ...

has just turned 3 . Both of them have taken an interest in Legos

along with Gramma. So it is time for Grampa to think serious about Lego Mindstorm.

Could any of you advise on what is the current offering for Lego Mindstorm and could you plese offere recomendations for us to get started?

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 90 of 110
(9,620 Views)