From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is Hooovahh

"I hate LabVIEW, I hate how it has to be so by-value driven.  It has by-reference capabilities, but even the references are by-value."

I think he was trying to say how references are refnums, but I'm pretty sure that's how it has to be.

@Jeff

That's awesome.

0 Kudos
Message 101 of 460
(13,364 Views)

This is JW-JnJ. I had two emails recently where I had a quote-worthy response... or at least worthy in my head

Engineer: "One more thing (believe me?)" then goes on to describe a feature they want

Me: "Done   ...and believe? Nope"

Engineer: "Smart Man"

Me: "Engineer + Desired Features = The very definition of scope creep"

The second one is in my signature.

"Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken"

Don't remember what prompted it. Probably being despondent after someone found a bug.

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
0 Kudos
Message 102 of 460
(13,298 Views)

Yeah I always liked your signature, and I think I thought about adding it to this thread.

I asked a colleague how his work was going, hearing rumors of major problems on the program.

Me: "So how are things at work, are they as bad as I hear?"

Them: "The trainwreck has gone nuclear."

Message 103 of 460
(13,281 Views)

While at NI week a few more memorable quotes came up that I may make my signature.

"I used to call them LabVIEW celebrities.  I stopped calling them that when I became one."

And

Me: "I'm not defined by where I work."

Darren: "No you're defined by the XNodes you write."

I don't like the negative connotation that reflects in regards to where I work so I've tweaked it a bit to say 

"A man is not defined by his scripting VIs alone. A man is defined by the XNodes he creates."

Message 104 of 460
(12,921 Views)

The best line from your presentation at NI week was "..2 days.." 

I got a good chuckle out of that 🙂

CLD | CTD
0 Kudos
Message 105 of 460
(12,888 Views)

Thanks, yeah that was clearly unplanned.  I wanted to have real expectations and real answers.  What I didn't want to do is have someone ask a question, then I answer it not fully knowing, but using an educated guess, that later turned out to be wrong.  So instead of guessing and answering the question the way I think it works, I just said "I've had 2 days to play with LabVIEW 2016, I'm not sure."  I think it worked out and I had a lot of fun presenting.  Thanks for attending and be sure and give feedback with the survey (if it works)

0 Kudos
Message 106 of 460
(12,878 Views)

It was a fantastic presentation, I got a lot of good points out of that and I think you were one of the better presenters I saw the entire expo. The room 15 presentations were pretty much all fantastic, my favorites in list of rank were: XNodes by you, Optimizing by Altenbach, Global Vars by Crossrulz, Templates by Delacor ..

Kudos to you and I will fill out survey if I can get it to work lol

*EDIT*

I really liked when you said "NI does not give you access to a Create New Xnode.. see.. oh crap.." hehe

CLD | CTD
0 Kudos
Message 107 of 460
(12,874 Views)

@ChrisK88 wrote:

I really liked when you said "NI does not give you access to a Create New Xnode.. see.. oh crap.." hehe

"The thing that's not available is, in LabVIEW you can't go File New...Well I can but don't talk about that."

Yeah at that point I knew I still had the audience attention since they quickly noticed my mistake.

0 Kudos
Message 108 of 460
(12,867 Views)

Just remembered a previous interview I had.

Management Guy: So how would you handle a program that is 2 weeks behind schedule?

Me: Well before it came to that I'd hope that I had taken the time to develop reusable code modules that could be put together with existing documentation, and having already been tested.  Individual code modules could then be developed and unit tested by beginner engineers to help break the problem into smaller chunks.

Management Guy: Right but lets say you couldn't do those things.

Me: Well I guess I'd just work harder until the program was completed.

Management Guy: Well some times you need to work smarter not harder.

Me. ...That was my first answer but you said I couldn't do that.

Message 109 of 460
(12,538 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Just remembered a previous interview I had.

Management Guy: So how would you handle a program that is 2 weeks behind schedule?

Me: Well before it came to that I'd hope that I had taken the time to develop reusable code modules that could be put together with existing documentation, and having already been tested.  Individual code modules could then be developed and unit tested by beginner engineers to help break the problem into smaller chunks.

Management Guy: Right but lets say you couldn't do those things.

Me: Well I guess I'd just work harder until the program was completed.

Management Guy: Well some times you need to work smarter not harder.

Me. ...That was my first answer but you said I couldn't do that.

How many kudos can I give to a single post?  one is not enough 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 110 of 460
(12,534 Views)