Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Santa Claus - wish list.

Santa Claus - wish list.

Yes, I have to wait till next year, I know. But anyway,

 

Dear Santa!

My name is Andrey Dmitriev

and I want a Multithreaded Application Builder in LabVIEW!

PLEASE!!!

 

 

lv_multi.png

 

Thanks, Santa, if you can hear me,

 

Andrey.

 

Message 1 of 11 (3,742 Views)

Re: Santa Claus - wish list.

[ Edited ]

You could try adding "allowmultipleinstances=True" to the top of your labVIEW INI. It launched multiple instances for me, but no guarantee on how everything will work.

 

Merry Christmas,
Santa

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (3,736 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Santa Claus - wish list.


Brad wrote:

You could try adding "allowmultipleinstances=True" to the top of your labVIEW INI. It launched multiple instances for me, but no guarantee on how everything will work.


 

Brad,

 

Please help me undestand this.

 

I thought that switch allowed multiple LV instances to be open (we used to have to copy and rename LabVIEW.exe to do that).

 

I believe Andrey is asking the application builder use more than one core when building applcations.

 

Does your switch now allow that?

 

Ben

 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (3,727 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Santa Claus - wish list.

I wouldn't think using the multipleinstance flag behaves any diffferently than launching multiple LV exe's with different names (I thought from his screenshot that's what he wanted). I tried using app builder and with my 4 core machine (with hyperthreading), it looks like building 4 projects at the same time was using multiple threads (See attached screenshot).

 

Anyway, hope this helps, if not, maybe the real santa can help,

Brad

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (3,718 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Santa Claus - wish list.


Ben wrote:

I believe Andrey is asking the application builder use more than one core when building applcations.

 

Does your switch now allow that?

 



Exactly. I have large application, it contains over 60 plugins (which are libraries). Full rebuild needed rarely, but take more than half hour. So, I can start 6 LabVIEW copies, and each one will build 10 libraries. As result build done in 5-7 minutes. And each one uses only 8 percent CPU. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (3,716 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Santa Claus - wish list.


Brad wrote:

I wouldn't think using the multipleinstance flag behaves any diffferently than launching multiple LV exe's with different names (I thought from his screenshot that's what he wanted). I tried using app builder and with my 4 core machine (with hyperthreading), it looks like building 4 projects at the same time was using multiple threads (See attached screenshot).

 

Anyway, hope this helps, if not, maybe the real santa can help,

Brad


Yes, In general its the same as start executables under different names (the only difference - that in Task Manager they named all the same - LabVIEW.exe).

 

What I want is to increase CPU usage within single LabVIEW instance during build. Or, alternatively, to have possibilities to start builds programmatically in different threads and fully parallel (right now also impossible).

 

In additional - application builder called programmatically with BuildTargetBuildSpecification.vi seems to be have resources leak - after 50-60 builds it stops working (not enough memory).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (3,713 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Santa Claus - wish list.


Andrey Dmitriev wrote:
In additional - application builder called programmatically with BuildTargetBuildSpecification.vi seems to be have resources leak - after 50-60 builds it stops working (not enough memory).

The reason probably here: after each call BuildTargetBuildSpecification.vi it make copy of nimxsoffline.exe in memory, so my task manager during build looks like that:

 

lv_multi3.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (3,702 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Santa Claus - wish list.

Well, the correct place for this would be the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Smiley Very Happy

 

NI already has compile farms and cloud options for FPGA compiles. How about being able to submit build jobs to the cloud?? Why not?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (3,692 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Santa Claus - wish list.


altenbach wrote:

Well, the correct place for this would be the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Smiley Very Happy

 

NI already has compile farms and cloud options for FPGA compiles. How about being able to submit build jobs to the cloud?? Why not?


Thanks, Christian,

 

It is already in LabVIEW Idea Exchange: Multi-Core LabVIEW Compiles, but not too much Kudos... Santa is my last hope.

 

 

Message 9 of 11 (3,684 Views)
This widget could not be displayed.