BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SON OF A...

@ChrissyC87 wrote:
God knows what sort of animal they were keeping in there but i'm sure the shock would have been enough for the T-rex pen at Jurrasic Park! 

Clever girl

(thanks, now I have to find that movie and watch it when I get home)

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
Message 71 of 78
(7,101 Views)

Oh that reminds me of working at the zoo.

They moved the bactrian camels to a new location and put up an electric fence to keep them there. Turns out when a bactrian camel puts on its winter coat, the fur hanging off the neck can be inches thick and is a perfect insulator. The camels walked through the electric fence as if it wasn't there. The wires have to be placed at just the perfect height to miss the thickest fur and the super-thick knee pads they have.

Rob

Message 72 of 78
(7,092 Views)

Another military war story ... we had a handfull of those very old, WWII-era field phones lying around in storage. During a cleanup we took some stuff back to the lab, including one of the phones. Those babies can crank some current. We would hook it up to a large capacitor and crank the daylights out of it, then discharge it with a grounding probe. CRACK! Brilliant arcs and the smell of ozone. "Son of a ...!!"Smiley Very Happy

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 73 of 78
(7,074 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

Maybe we should turn this into a thread of "engineering mistakes that have made one say sonofaaaaa...."

Just wired +5 v out of one device to +5 out of another...the smell and smoke was quite remarkable.

0 Kudos
Message 74 of 78
(6,959 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

@for(imstuck) wrote:

Maybe we should turn this into a thread of "engineering mistakes that have made one say sonofaaaaa...."

Just wired +5 v out of one device to +5 out of another...the smell and smoke was quite remarkable.

Did you at least connect the grounds first?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 75 of 78
(6,952 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

I was shopping for computer parts about a month ago.  Picked up a couple of 2.5" HDs, and needed a few new enclosures for them. 

One stack of enclosures had a USB-A female connector on them.

The cable it came with had a USB-A male connector on each end. Smiley Surprised

I bought a different enclosure.  I'd rather not smell that smell coming from my computer.

0 Kudos
Message 76 of 78
(6,949 Views)

Not sure, all I know is the scb 68 started smoking but the fpga card is good! The problem was the 7841R has 3 connectors, one is RMIO. The RMIO connector doesn't map to the scb68 the same as the other two, and I was loooking at the pin assignments for connectors 1 and 2. So, more than likely, all sorts of stuff was wired wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 77 of 78
(6,939 Views)

Quickly wired up a compound node to covert from degrees to radians (I know there is also an expression node in the scaling palette). I intended to wire a Pi constant, but somehow ended up wireing the dice instead. The results were somewhat random and it took me longer than it should to find the problem. 😄

Message 78 of 78
(6,924 Views)