From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rube Goldberg Code

Not really sure if this is a Rube or not - not really sure what this is:

Found this in a driver module for an Elprotronic chip driver "Oscillator.vi".

Kudos to:

1) Whoever managed to write this and deploy it - How did they create a while loop with no wired conditional terminal. This is an infinite loop.

2) NI for such an amazing "feature" in the timed loop!

Oscillator.png

Can anyone explain why this "works"?

James

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 1821 of 2,571
(10,543 Views)

You have a "Timed Loop" structure:

According to help

"Unlike the While Loop, the Timed Loop does not require wiring to the stop terminal. If you do not wire anything to the stop terminal, the loop will run interminably."

Certified-LabVIEW-Architect_rgb.jpgCertified_TestStand_Architect_rgb.jpg

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Bernard Books

0 Kudos
Message 1822 of 2,571
(10,533 Views)

I imagine that somewhere else in that driver you will find something like this:

Example_VI_BD.png

Yeah, timed loops can be stopped remotely

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 1823 of 2,571
(10,512 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Example_VI_BD.png

Holy obfuscation batman!

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
Message 1824 of 2,571
(10,500 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Example_VI_BD.png

They might know about this feature but they also didn't explicitly wire a structure name and kept the default name of "L198724412" so I bet there is a good chance it's just an infinite loop.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 1825 of 2,571
(10,499 Views)

Simple question.

In the time it took for me work work out my reply (msg 3) I was beaten by msg 2!

I would like to take loads of credit for ofuconfususication -  or whatever the long word is you keep using!Smiley LOL

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Access-directly-to-Cluster-on-Front-Panel-inside-other-control/m-p/3...

James

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 1826 of 2,571
(10,385 Views)

@James_W wrote:

Simple question.

In the time it took for me work work out my reply (msg 3) I was beaten by msg 2!

I would like to take loads of credit for ofuconfususication -  or whatever the long word is you keep using!Smiley LOL

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Access-directly-to-Cluster-on-Front-Panel-inside-other-control/m-p/3...

James

Obfuscation

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 1827 of 2,571
(10,372 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Obfuscation

yup that's the one Jeff

Obvious-flipping-confusin-ionSmiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Message 1828 of 2,571
(10,364 Views)

Or more appropriately. Obfuscation (software), except that many examples of this thread are not deliberate. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 1829 of 2,571
(10,349 Views)

We've seen the "Equal TRUE logic" over and over here, so for a change in scenery, let's try a "Not equal FALSE" 😮 There are many ways to write Rube Goldberg code!

(seen here)

Message 1830 of 2,571
(10,276 Views)