From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rube Goldberg Code

This is just the tip of the iceberg of the code posted here. The other problems are too numerous to list (almost all terminals disconnected and exclusive wiring via local variables, stacked sequence with 8 frames and 7 sequence locals, while loops with the stop condition wired from the outside, fixed iteration count WHILE loops instead of FOR loops, never heard of "spreadsheet string to array" and using convoluted while loops instead, etc. etc.)

So, let's look at the picture below.

For some reason, we need to get the same "pages" property five times in parallel, each getting the same array result of course, then we need to index out one element from each and writing to the visible property. For some reason this is still not enough, so we need to repeat all that five(!) times in a while loop as fast as the computer allows! Why?????

In the end, we are getting the same "pages" property 25 times and writing each visibility five times with the same value.

0 Kudos
Message 1601 of 2,571
(10,526 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

This is just the tip of the iceberg of the code posted here

You weren't kidding. That is some of the best bad code I have seen in awhile.  He took it to a whole new level

Message 1602 of 2,571
(10,440 Views)

Jeff·Þ·Bohrer wrote

Dont leave dT = 0 you don't have enough memory, trust me ok? 

How about machine epsilon?

0 Kudos
Message 1603 of 2,571
(10,420 Views)

Lets have some fun with converting strings to timestamps: Get Time Stamp will milli seconds from string time stamp format

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 1604 of 2,571
(10,207 Views)

Hopefully you realized that your outputs didn't match,wrong AM/PM flag. At least the answer doesn't complicate your code, just change the format string to "%<%m/%d/%Y %I:%M:%S%u %p>T"

Certified-LabVIEW-Architect_rgb.jpgCertified_TestStand_Architect_rgb.jpg

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Bernard Books

0 Kudos
Message 1605 of 2,571
(10,194 Views)

@bsvare wrote:

Hopefully you realized that your outputs didn't match,wrong AM/PM flag. At least the answer doesn't complicate your code, just change the format string to "%<%m/%d/%Y %I:%M:%S%u %p>T"

Yeah, I noticed my %H vs %I issue.  It was just a little too late to actually edit it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 1606 of 2,571
(10,191 Views)

Not quite RGC, but very fitting to the thread title and idea. 🙂 http://www.haneke.net

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 1607 of 2,571
(10,090 Views)

That is bonkers - but a good use of a tiled background GIF to ensure continuity of the balls at the edges.

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 1608 of 2,571
(10,076 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

Not quite RGC, but very fitting to the thread title and idea. 🙂 http://www.haneke.net

/Y

That's horrendous. Smiley Mad Should come with a "May induce a migraine. Do you wish to continue?" warning popup. 

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 1609 of 2,571
(10,066 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

@Yamaeda wrote:

/Y

That's horrendous. Smiley Mad Should come with a "May induce a migraine. Do you wish to continue?" warning popup. 

I was immediately trying to turn off "hightlight execution" mode. 😄

Message 1610 of 2,571
(10,060 Views)