From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rube Goldberg Code

@altenbach wrote:

Edit: Yes, I was right. Just checked my LabVIEW 4.0 installation and it does not have the insert/delete function in the array palette.

Any idea when these functions were introduced?

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 1591 of 2,571
(11,439 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Don't look so surprised.  He also has a copy of LabVIEW 3.

Haha, ofcourse he does. I should have seen that coming. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1592 of 2,571
(11,412 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

Don't look so surprised.  He also has a copy of LabVIEW 3.

Haha, ofcourse he does. I should have seen that coming. 🙂

/Y

No, that's only a demo (See here. Fully functional in windows XP mode, but cannot save anything).

OTOH, LabVIEW 4.0 is still installed on the same computer where I learned LabVIEW (Windows 95, Pentium 1). PC is running 24/7 (for almost 20 years!) controlling an instrument via an ISA card AT-MIO-16E-1.

@parthabe wrote:

I wish I remember. Maybe 6.0? (I think that was the first beta I participated). 😄 All upgrade notes are available somewhere, so it would be a matter of looking through them to see what's mentioned about array functions. (Use google to search for specific upgrade notes, the NI search is useless for this :()

(I remember that I did not really like some of the unwired behavior, because it was not in line with the typical definitions (e.g. typically an unwired index means element 0, but for "delete from array", it means the last element of the array. This is of course useful but also somewhat confusing.))

Message 1593 of 2,571
(11,374 Views)

altenbach wrote:

No, that's only a demo (See here. Fully functional in windows XP mode, but cannot save anything).

My copy came with the upgrade suite.  Have not played with it enough to try anything.  But the lack of the autotool is really annoying.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 1594 of 2,571
(11,370 Views)

@parthabe wrote:

Yes, my memory was correct. These functions got introduced in LabVIEW 6i.

Looking at the LabVIEW 6i upgrade notes, we find the following statement.

Array Function Enhancements

"LabVIEW includes three new functions for manipulating arrays — the Replace Array Subset, Insert Into Array, and Delete From Array functions, available in the Functions»Arrays palette ..."

0 Kudos
Message 1595 of 2,571
(11,351 Views)
Thank God! I started my career with 6i ! 🙂 Can't imagine life without those 3 array muskateers.

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
Message 1596 of 2,571
(11,325 Views)

We haven't seen that kind of useless boolean gymnastics in a while. but look at the code posted here.

Here are a few parts in no particular oder. 😄

Lete's look at the middle and bottom case:

1. If the boolean is true, we go to the true case
  2. in the true case we compare it with TRUE, just to be sure
  3. If it is really true, we abort the VI, so why does it even matter what we wire to the stop condition?
  4. If the boolean is false, we go to the FALSE case.
  5. In the FALSE case, we compare it to FALSE, just to be sure
  6. Since the comparison is guaranteed to returne TRUE, we need to invert in order to not to stop the loop

We would get exactly the same functionality by wiring the control directy to the stop condition (and potentially branch the wire to the abort primitive, but that sounds a bit clumsy ;)) No case structure or boolean gymnastics needed. 😮

0 Kudos
Message 1597 of 2,571
(11,143 Views)

(seen here)

How would you change a scalar to an array with one element?

Well, "built array" resized to one input would come to mind.....

......but wouldn't it be so much better to use a "ptbypt data queue" configured for a queue size of one element?

Well, yes, at least if we are getting paid by the size and complexity of the code! 😄

0 Kudos
Message 1598 of 2,571
(11,036 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

"ptbypt data queue"

I didn't even know that node existed.

0 Kudos
Message 1599 of 2,571
(11,006 Views)

@Hornless.Rhino wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

"ptbypt data queue"

I didn't even know that node existed.

Just to give it some credibility.  My hideous self embarassment yesterday was due to the use of that node.  (As an nZ-Transform)  Delay / dT = n samples in the queue

Dont leave dT = 0 you don't have enough memory, trust me ok? 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 1600 of 2,571
(10,919 Views)