BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

Heidelberg is just close here, and I did not hear about this story, but apparently true: https://www.thedailymeal.com/heidelberg-germany-zucchini-toxin-poison/82315

http://www.bhaf.org.uk/page_id__528.aspx

Good to remember this, if your zucchini meal tastes too bitter, just do not eat it! 😄

Message 1701 of 2,258
(10,130 Views)

I had not heard about zucchini and have never tried to grow any as of yet. Almost everything I grow is an heirloom variety since I am attempting to produce all of my own seed stock.

Now is that a garlic bulb I see in that image? If so I have to share this classic image of my better-half from a few weeks ago.

The bulbs for consumption are in that backpack and the bulbs she is carrying in her hand are intended to be used as seeds for next year's crop. I call that image "The Garlic Lady".

Re:Bitter

An old wives tale says that we should not be eating the green potatoes because they are toxic. I checked with a retired PhD and asked him about that. He said they are not toxic but they are bitter.

I think that there is a general association between bitter and toxic. Aside from hops, how many biter things do people eat? 

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1702 of 2,258
(10,123 Views)

The girls were visiting on Sunday as usual and I try to make sure they learn something in addition to just having fun. Our last VCR started to eat tapes so my better-half decided to dispose of it. That presented the opportunity to teach bout electronics and running screw drivers and such.

The  Olivia (the elder) broke out her tool bag (she has her own set of tools) and started at it. After getting the cover off she decided she wanted to break the components of the CD player and started to go at it testing out each tool to see what type of damage she could do with different tools. Screw driver, saw, hammer, bigger hammer.

Parts where starting to fly when Eden (the younger) tried to get in on the fun and Olivia then said

"Stand back! I am the mad scientist here."

Spoiler

"Olivia's VCR Repair, the wrong way"

Score one for Grampa!

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1703 of 2,258
(10,083 Views)

@Ben wrote:

The girls were visiting on Sunday as usual and I try to make sure they learn something in addition to just having fun.

Lesson 0.0, step 0: Make sure it is not plugged in 😄

Message 1704 of 2,258
(10,064 Views)

And now to something completely different ...

The Expert

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 1705 of 2,258
(10,063 Views)

This may not be  a popular post but because this category has not been marked as "off-limits" (yet) let me share a evolution in my being...

Warning talk of musicals to follow. Read at your own risk.

Spoiler

My better half and I take in Broadway musicals during the summer. I was a thespian when in high school and became a fan of the classics. We attend our last for this year which was selected by my better-half, "Mama Mia". She selected it because she was an Abba fan and listened on 8-tracks, knows all of the words etc.

As for me I did not know Abba aside form the name and I did not know any of their songs. Looking back I have heard them in elevators. I was in the Navy and out at sea during that period so I missed them completely.

Spoiler

The experience reminds of a small stone in my boot that first I did not know it was there, then I noticed it and before long I grew to dislike it and finally had to stop and empty my boot to rid myself of it.

Same thing with Mama Mia and Abba. I sat through the show and came away saying "yes I never heard most of that ." It could have ended there but the songs kept running over and over again in my wife's head and that is when she started playing the music. The progression went...

I do not know them

I have heard some of that.

I am not impressed

I am starting to get irritated

I really do not like them

I think I may hate them!

Telling my better-half to please spare me, I quipped "what did they do, come up with one sentence that rhymed wrote it down and said 'Great that is a song now think of another sentence.' "

Spoiler

I am now an abAbbalutionist.

Ben

Message 1706 of 2,258
(10,015 Views)

Ben

I too share the silent shame of enjoying (most) musicals. Your story does bring to mind when, leaving a very well done performance of "Cats" I overheard an older gentleman say "There's 2 1/2 hours of my life I will never get back!". I assumed he wasn't fond of the show ...

I was a member of the National Thespians in high school, was a "techie" doing the lighting and sound.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 1707 of 2,258
(10,005 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:

Ben

I too share the silent shame of enjoying (most) musicals. Your story does bring to mind when, leaving a very well done performance of "Cats" I overheard an older gentleman say "There's 2 1/2 hours of my life I will never get back!". I assumed he wasn't fond of the show ...

I was a member of the National Thespians in high school, was a "techie" doing the lighting and sound.

My senior year we did Oklahoma and in the credits I was mentioned for

Will Parker

Stage manager

Lighting

Sound

Set

Backdrop

Ballet dancer (where all the guys had to do was be in the right place to catch one of the female performers at the right time).

The good part of being a thespian was the ratio of women to men was about 7 to 1. Smiley Wink

Ben

Message 1708 of 2,258
(9,993 Views)

Life is always presenting distractions but I have managed to push forward with that custom duct work.

I am using duct tape to hold the sections together as I go. Sheet metal is not my area of expertise so am doing a lot of adjusting as I go. Maybe get some sheet metal screws into the top and bottom sections of the rectangle-to-round adapter tonight if all goes well. I have been having fun and have shed very little blood considering.

When this duct sub-task is completed the door will be wide open for me to start getting ready for another wall of the Hobbit hole and move past the half-way point. I told my better-half that I looked at the Hobbit hole as a gift to her since she has indulged so many of my personal crazy projects. Besides, I would not mind relaxing (or hunkering down) in a nice new Hobbit hole.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1709 of 2,258
(9,932 Views)

When clicking on the link provided I get an access denied message. To whom is the link provided?

@Kristi_Martinez wrote:
Moved to another board

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 1710 of 2,258
(9,887 Views)