BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

After mentioning the Turducken architecture that Christian named in this thread my boss told me the following story.

A keynote speaker said he was driving down in bayou country when he was passed by a chiken going more than 60 MPH. He tried to speed and over take it but could not so he continued to follow it. Eventually coming to an old shack. He asked the gentleman on the porch if he had seen the chiken and he indicated yes. Inquiring further he asked to find out more.

Guy on Porch: My wife son and I all like chiken legs so to avoid problems we bred a chiken with 3 legs.

Traveler: how do they taste?

Guy on Porch : Don't know can't catch it.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 151 of 2,258
(10,788 Views)

IN this thread Chistina R wrote;

I really hope no one is under the impression that everything you can do with Scripting is safe to do. Many Scripting properties and methods having poor or non-existent error handling. It's a powerful feature but requires careful, responsible use.

To which Steve asked;

How can we tell if we are being safe and responsible? Can it really hurt anything by putting a constant on the front panel?

I will now reply;

Don't use scripting and only use VIs on the palette.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 152 of 2,258
(10,783 Views)

@Ben wrote:

IN this thread Chistina R wrote;

I really hope no one is under the impression that everything you can do with Scripting is safe to do. Many Scripting properties and methods having poor or non-existent error handling. It's a powerful feature but requires careful, responsible use.

To which Steve asked;

How can we tell if we are being safe and responsible? Can it really hurt anything by putting a constant on the front panel?

I will now reply;

By which, I presume you mean that if you need to ask the question, then you can't handle the answer.  Now if only NI would allow the same level of "caution" to apply to XNodes - yes there can be problems, but when written carefully and responsibly they are pretty near safe.

0 Kudos
Message 153 of 2,258
(10,740 Views)

@GregSands wrote:
Now if only NI would allow the same level of "caution" to apply to XNodes - yes there can be problems, but when written carefully and responsibly they are pretty near safe.

You might wish to take that up with AQ - http://lavag.org/topic/15654-xnode-and-externalnode-help/page__p__94643#entry94643

(10,725 Views)
PLAGIARISM

Romanian prime minister accused of plagiarism
http://www.nature.com/news/romanian-prime-minister-accused-of-plagiarism-1.10845
The president of Hungary, the German defence minister resigned in PhD plagiarism row
http://www.guard...ian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/01/german-defence-minister-resigns-plagiarism
All politicians, the majority of the professors, scientists…are not able to discover anything new, but they looking to buy Academic Titles!
My theories:
My Evolution theory, my Wavefunction theory, my Quantum consciousness theory…are not plagiarism!
http://ferentadrian.tk/
0 Kudos
Message 155 of 2,258
(10,720 Views)

@GregSands wrote:

@Ben wrote:

I will now reply;

By which, I presume you mean that if you need to ask the question, then you can't handle the answer.  Now if only NI would allow the same level of "caution" to apply to XNodes - yes there can be problems, but when written carefully and responsibly they are pretty near safe.

I like the Jeff Oldbloom line from jurasic Park;

"Just becasue we could, does not mean we should."

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 156 of 2,258
(10,698 Views)

@alfa1 wrote:
PLAGIARISM

Romanian prime minister accused of plagiarism

Well that was pretty random and even more so given the subject. I am starting to think you just get a kick out of messing with this board. Do you even know what LabVIEW is?

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 157 of 2,258
(10,692 Views)

There's an old quote from Greg McKaskle about mucking with unpublished INI tokens: "These obscure features are typically kind of like the attic or basement of a house, not finished out, not very interesting, and potentially harmful."

Scripting, in its early days, was like this. It grew to be more useful over time. And even though it's now published, I feel like we didn't "finish" the attic as much as sweep it out and give you a flashlight. If you see a rusty nail, please don't poke it with your finger just because we let you in the attic.

I don't know of any problems with using controls/constants in the wrong part of the VI, but I can guarantee the developers didn't write the code expecting controls on the diagram or constants on the panel, so it seems likely that something will go wonky if you insist on writing VIs with them.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
Message 158 of 2,258
(10,669 Views)

Christina, you're giving me the opportunity to ask a question I've wanted to ask for a long time : why do we have access to the "default value"  write property for a front panel control when we don't have scripting enabled?

I mean... reading that property is not scripting, it's a normal feature we can use in any app, but writting it... when else than when scripting am I going to need that? I'd like to know how many people have asked on the forum why they get an error when they use it in "non-scripting code".

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 159 of 2,258
(10,651 Views)

@TiTou wrote:

Christina, you're giving me the opportunity to ask a question I've wanted to ask for a long time : why do we have access to the "default value"  write property for a front panel control when we don't have scripting enabled?

I mean... reading that property is not scripting, it's a normal feature we can use in any app, but writting it... when else than when scripting am I going to need that? I'd like to know how many people have asked on the forum why they get an error when they use it in "non-scripting code".

While waiting to the "right answer" I'll propose...

It can be used that are not reserved to run to set the default values. I suspect at some point in time NI may have used the default to be able to support multi-language support by getting them from the default of a control. A VI could go through a bunch of VIs and set the proper text for the target langauge as the defaults.

Done with the specualtions.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 160 of 2,258
(10,645 Views)