BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

@jcarmody wrote:

Did you know that dried gourds, when exposed to heat (like in a brush fire), explode?  It's neat. 🙂

I would expect that it will still need some humidity/water inside....  the paring of course needs to be as solid as is could get.

And if your spread weed with your compost, it didn't rot hot enough to kill the weed seed. I once measured about 70°C in my fathers compost. It's been said that they even can selfignite.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 91 of 2,258
(16,534 Views)

@Henrik Volkers wrote:

I would expect that it will still need some humidity/water inside.... 

I don't think so.  These had been drying in the barn for a couple years. 

@Henrik Volkers wrote:

And if your spread weed with your compost, it didn't rot hot enough to kill the weed seed. I once measured about 70°C in my fathers compost. It's been said that they even can selfignite.

That's certain.  I've never really made a compost pile; I always end up with a pile of rot.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 92 of 2,258
(16,528 Views)

You can go to your local farm supply store and get a compost-starter. The last one I used looked like an over-sized pill. It contains all the microbes to get your compost going in the right direction. Turning the compost periodically helps as well. There is lots of information on-line about composting.

Rob

Message 93 of 2,258
(16,505 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:
Did you know that dried gourds, when exposed to heat (like in a brush fire), explode?  It's neat. 🙂

Same with hickory nuts, which have about the power of an M-80 firecracker. The difference, when a hickory nut explodes from the fire, you can trace the trajectory and eat the perfectly toasted hickory nut meat (if, like me, you're not opposed to eating things that just flew out of a fire and onto your yard 😉 It's both terrifying and satisfying.

Message 94 of 2,258
(16,487 Views)

You should see a Eucalytpus go bang during a bushfire 🙂

Message 95 of 2,258
(16,477 Views)

@Hornless.Rhino wrote:

You should see a Eucalytpus go bang during a bushfire 🙂

OK- time to reverse the usual

SOMEONE needs to link Mythbusters to Breakpoint!  This I've got to see!

(Myhtbusters special: exploding gardens!) Smiley LOL 

Now I need to be really concerned about the flower box around my tree in the back yard that was just infused with a "Powered by LabVIEW" package!!!!!!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 96 of 2,258
(16,443 Views)

You only need to be concerned about the garden gnomes apparently http://www.howtosurviveagardengnomeattack.com/

0 Kudos
Message 97 of 2,258
(16,425 Views)

I must have sent at least two month pouring through seed catalogs this winter to cover all of the bases but i I never thought about buying exploding vegetables.

Well the locals farmers co-op came through for me last year. Lets hope they do so again this since the Princess' attempt at "cooking something" with a gord failed miserably last year.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 98 of 2,258
(16,380 Views)

In post 15 of this thread saverio posted;

My dial goes to 11. That's better, isn't it?

Spinal Tap the movie!

I loved it.

many of my buddies from high school fancied themselves musicians and they are a funny gulable bunch. One of my close freinds to this day still calims he can "hear" the difference if you use "Monster Cable", the ones that are gold plated supposedly to enhance the "skin-effect". I pointed out that the skin effect onyl comes into play at very high frequencies and he fully agrees but then still claims to be able to hear the differnces.

Musicians, go figure!

(Ben covers his knowing full well that there are many musicians in the gang).

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 99 of 2,258
(16,377 Views)

Ben, the G-Wiz comics are cute (I love the site name and the name I.M. Wright), but again, can you get whoever manages it to publish it using RSS? That's the proper way of publishing content today (assuming you want many people to access it, which might not actually be the intent in these cases).

P.S. Are you sure the guru is not based on you? The pocket protector and advanced 5 o'clock shadow (9 o'clock shadow?) could point that way.