From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

That is a nice score Henrik. Much nicer thatn the one I harvested...

DSCN1808_Annotated.JPG

A- Coolent resevoir - used anti-freeze since I did this experiment in the garage in march

B- Thermometer to monitor collant temp.

C- Tubing to pump

D- Pump which was another dumpster dive

E- A nice brass valve, yes from a dumpster

F- Coolent supply to distillation tube

G- Not as nice as yours!

H- Coolant return line

I- Old transmision radiator which is fine for anti-freeze

J- Propane torch to heat fluid

K- Flask from another dive

L- Temp inside boiler that saved my rear-end when the outlet clogged and the temp rose above 212F. "sum-ting-wong!"

M- Bubbler to let the splashed fluid return the the boiler. Yes from a dumpster

N- Short bent glass tube that had to come from one harvet or another

If you have not done it previously please look into "the devil's cut" and the danger of the first fluid from the still.

Keep diving!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1441 of 2,258
(10,857 Views)

Watch out for the revenoors! Heard they were jus over in the next glen!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 1442 of 2,258
(10,807 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:

Watch out for the revenoors! Heard they were jus over in the next glen!

Spoiler

I have mentioned it previously but it bears repeating...

The Whiskey Rebelion was started within wlaking distance of my place. Old time names for the area include "Sleepy Hollow" and "Loafers Hollow". This area is geographically very old, with deep steep hollows cut by the efects of rain and streams over mileniums. So there were whiskey operations in every gulley you could look. The granddaughters and I found the remnants of one behind their place last year that could have dated back to the time of the revolution.

That set-up was only used to distill water. A modified version using a copper coil was what I eventually settled on becuase it did not require a pump to circulate the cooling fluid.

Spoiler

(A prepper's dream to have an EMP proof still you know)

I tried to ferment some left over potatoes but that did not go well and I have not had extra spuds to try since then.

While the vodka experiment was a big fail, the home brewed beer was well recieved by one and all that tried it (It was such a hit that I did not get a chance to try any myself!) The "Dooh" moment that comes along with our beer brewing adventure was related to the wart chiller.

A wart chller is a copper coil we ran cold water through and was used to chill the wart as quickly as possible. Chilling the wart fast is an important detail in getting it right. Since the hose hook-up was in the basement and we were brewing in the kitchen, I used one of those collapsable hoses run up the stairs. The wife was stationed in the basement aqnd I yelled to her to shut of the water when the temperature dropped to the target level. What I did not think about was lacking flow and an open dischage of the water from the chiller, the collapsable hose started to "collapse". It almost pulled the pot off of the counter. Lesson learned. Take the wart chiller out of the pot BEFORE you shut off the water.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1443 of 2,258
(10,787 Views)

I got to visit Tommy the Turtle. Smiley LOL

yes, it's a 50-foot-tall turtle riding a snowmobile. Smiley Very Happy

Message 1444 of 2,258
(10,730 Views)

A giant turtle riding a snowmobile.......nope, I've got absolutely nothing for that.  Wait a minute, I did get to meet Ben Rayner in person last week and get the nickel tour of his office.  Hmmmm, still not a giant turtle.

Message 1445 of 2,258
(10,674 Views)

@Wayne.C wrote:

A giant turtle riding a snowmobile.......nope, I've got absolutely nothing for that.  Wait a minute, I did get to meet Ben Rayner in person last week and get the nickel tour of his office.  Hmmmm, still not a giant turtle.

That was a special treat for me!

I am not waht pepole call a "social animal" (all of those genes wen to my brother) but it was nice to put a face with a name.

If any of you are taking NI course in PIttsburgh, let the instructor know that you want to meet Ben and they can usually set you up.

Thank you for asking for me Wayne!

Ben

Message 1446 of 2,258
(10,645 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@Wayne.C wrote:

That was a special treat for me!

I am not waht pepole call a "social animal" (all of those genes wen to my brother) but it was nice to put a face with a name.

If any of you are taking NI course in PIttsburgh, let the instructor know that you want to meet Ben and they can usually set you up.

Thank you for asking for me Wayne!

Ben

Great Story! (Hey I got Snow Mule to buy me a round in MN one day! (Still, not a giant snowmobile riding turtle though.

OTOH, the last time I visited a NI Training center and mentioned I'd like to meet the resident Champion.  The guy bolted out of town the night before I arrived

Spoiler
I still haven't met Ed face to face

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 1447 of 2,258
(10,625 Views)

Anne Shrubbery.png

Smiley Happy

Quite possibly cooler that a giant turtle

Spoiler
That's An Shrubbery right there!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 1448 of 2,258
(10,620 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Smiley Happy

Spoiler

Yours had a pot?  Yours might actually survive then.  I just got a stick with some roots and told to plant it outside...IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER.  Even inside, it did not survive the Cincinnati winter.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 1449 of 2,258
(10,575 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

Smiley Happy

Spoiler

Yours had a pot?  Yours might actually survive then.  I just got a stick with some roots and told to plant it outside...IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER.  Even inside, it did not survive the Cincinnati winter.

According to MIke's Backyard Nursery (see here,

he is locaed just north of you I believe, and we use the same designer for our wardrobe) winter is the best time transplant shrubs and what you recieved is called a "bare root" plant. It was dormant and in that state it can be moved transplanted pruned or whatever without doing it much harm.

Re: Cold

I just put 72 grape vines in about 2 weeks ago as shown in this image.

Spoiler

I guess it OK for me to fess-up. While mine did come in a pot, I neglected it and it died in short order due to no watering.

I am curently trying to compensate with about 150 Rose of Sharron that I am growing from both clones and from seed.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1450 of 2,258
(10,570 Views)