BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

@RavensFan wrote:

@Intaris wrote:

Then someone explianed that my ATM card simply has a small memory in the chip of how much money I withdraw last time and suggests the same amount to me next time.  I had simply become consistent in the amount of money I was withdrawing. Smiley Embarassed

Do you really think it is memory in the chip?  I figured it was probably the ATM machine querying the network and that is where your patterns are stored.

About 30 years ago...

The last transaction was written to the magnetic strip on the card. There were about 5 tracks if memory serves me. It was how the banks could enforce the "daily withdrawl limit" since not all machine were reliably connected to a mainframe at that time.

How they do it now...

I can not say.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1601 of 2,258
(9,765 Views)

Back in the late 80's I walked into my bank branch and closed my account. On the way out the door I went up to the ATM and withdrew the daily maximum from the 'closed' account. I then promptly deposited the cash back into my 'closed' account. Oddly enough, those transactions never showed up on the final statement. Just wanted to see how the system 'worked'.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 1602 of 2,258
(9,763 Views)

@AnalogKid2DigitalMan wrote:

Back in the late 80's I walked into my bank branch and closed my account. On the way out the door I went up to the ATM and withdrew the daily maximum from the 'closed' account. I then promptly deposited the cash back into my 'closed' account. Oddly enough, those transactions never showed up on the final statement. Just wanted to see how the system 'worked'.

-AK2DM

Thank for that confirmation story.

Back then...

The WWW only consisted or the DARPA related mainframes and cash machine used modems via dial-up or dedicated leased lines to "phone home".

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1603 of 2,258
(9,760 Views)

RavensFan wrote:

Do you really think it is memory in the chip?  

I can't find the source at the moment but I've heard those EMV chips are more like a microcontroller.  If this is the case not only does it have memory but a processor, RAM, and other essentials of running software.  This might also be why these chip systems are slower since the system needs to boot up and run startup which won't happen until it is powered by the reader.

Message 1604 of 2,258
(9,758 Views)

I asked the admins to check when my CLA expires and was happy to learn, 2020. If God lets me retire that means I may never have to sit for that exam again. For one that shudders at the thought of a test, that make me very happy.

Spoiler
Do not even imagine what Ben's happy dance would look like. It aint pretty.

Ben

Message 1605 of 2,258
(9,720 Views)

@Ben wrote:

I asked the admins to check when my CLA expires and was happy to learn, 2020. If God lets me retire that means I may never have to sit for that exam again. For one that shudders at the thought of a test, that make me very happy.

Spoiler
Do not even imagine what Ben's happy dance would look like. It aint pretty.

Ben

Damn the spoiler! 

I accidentally​ did, it wasn't

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 1606 of 2,258
(9,716 Views)

I had toyted with the idea of going to NI week but after the whirl-wind adventure of planting seedlings and clearing the forest garden boxes, I am glad I decided to stay home and work.

The garlic is pushing 40 inches tall and my better-half went through and removed all of the flower heads on Saturday.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1607 of 2,258
(9,672 Views)

People, I just got surprised by the the new changes at many parts of the website! Now we have a LV NXG forum board too, and it looks like NI will offer LV and LV NXG 1.0 in parallel: 

http://www.ni.com/en-gb/shop/labview.html

http://www.ni.com/en-gb/shop/labview/labview-nxg.html

But so far I did not find download link for the NXG, only a kind of survey. Can we download it, and use it with a Research or Academic SSP?

0 Kudos
Message 1608 of 2,258
(9,647 Views)

Saw that too.  But it doesn't seem to be a new forum.  They seem to be filters for the existing forum based on tags applied to the messages.

NXG comes up empty.   Click on LabVIEW and the 2nd newest message is dated  March 26, 2016.

0 Kudos
Message 1609 of 2,258
(9,641 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

People, I just got surprised by the the new changes at many parts of the website! Now we have a LV NXG forum board too, and it looks like NI will offer LV and LV NXG 1.0 in parallel: 

http://www.ni.com/en-gb/shop/labview.html

http://www.ni.com/en-gb/shop/labview/labview-nxg.html

But so far I did not find download link for the NXG, only a kind of survey. Can we download it, and use it with a Research or Academic SSP?

Start here

NI Package manager then does all the finding for you for the published updates

Now look Here

and ask your rep what you SSP status is

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 1610 of 2,258
(9,635 Views)