From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

PeterFoerster wrote:

I bet the guys at the bowling alley were already looking for their two individual keys to "unlock the fireworks reserved for that occasion...

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 1481 of 2,258
(10,278 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Sweet!  Let me guess, You left the 7-10 for the pin-setter as a tip?

I actually did leave the 7-10 in the end Smiley Very Happy (I thought it was one of my better throws too).

It's good that the throw didn't matter too much, I would have been heartbroken if that had happened after 10 strikes.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 1482 of 2,258
(10,267 Views)

I heard about a fellow that bowled a 301.  It's possible if you say/spell it out and use extra punctuation.

Spoiler
He bowled a three-hundred, and won.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 1483 of 2,258
(10,248 Views)

I love it when things start to take shape.

I hope to get the 1/4 drywall installed on the coved ceiling this week-end.

That Hobbit hole may just happen!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1484 of 2,258
(10,158 Views)

I managed to walk out of the house without my NI Pocket screwdriver this morning.

I feel naked!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1485 of 2,258
(10,146 Views)

I probably have 20 in my work drawer, 5 in my laptop bag, and another 10 in various drawers and tool boxes at home.  I often leave home without one, but there is always one close.  That's not to say I don't appreciate them.  I use them all the time and noticed when NI didn't send them with every box shipped by NI.  Buy a cDAQ chassis?  Get a screwdriver.  Buy an analog card for the chassis?  Get a screwdriver.  Buy a CD?  Get a screw driver.  Now we only get one or two with each system we buy.

Message 1486 of 2,258
(10,139 Views)

@Ben wrote:

I managed to walk out of the house without my NI Pocket screwdriver this morning.

I feel naked!

Ben

I have the same feeling if im out without my >25a old Leatherman*..

These NI-toys usually don't last long... same with the 'screw driver' of a phase checker (also called 'lying pen')  ... weak steel...

About three I had in my labtop bag, left at the airport .. the x-ray found them while I missed them before.

*)When I bought a Leatherman wave togehter with and for my daughter, I was tempted to buy a second one for myself.. (better is the enemy of good) but stayed loyal and sentimental 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 1487 of 2,258
(10,088 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:
I have the same feeling if im out without my >25a old Leatherman*.

Yeah I have one in the glove box of each vehicle I own.  Never know when I'll need one, and I always want to know where one is.  Putting it in my pocket would probably mean forgetting to take it out my pants or forgetting to grab it in the morning.  Also I don't think they would fit well in my business khakis.  My phone in one pocket, and wallet in the other makes me feel bulky enough.

0 Kudos
Message 1488 of 2,258
(10,076 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:
I have the same feeling if im out without my >25a old Leatherman*.

Yeah I have one in the glove box of each vehicle I own.  Never know when I'll need one, and I always want to know where one is.  Putting it in my pocket would probably mean forgetting to take it out my pants or forgetting to grab it in the morning.  Also I don't think they would fit well in my business khakis.  My phone in one pocket, and wallet in the other makes me feel bulky enough.

Embrace the bulkiness.

I will share a couple of stories using a shot-gun approach that maybe you will find one them worth reading.

1) We had an extended discussion on the preppers web-site Swiss Champ VS Leatherman

I have been carrying a Swiss Champ for more than 30 years now. Not the same on mind you! I wear them out with the scissors being the most frequent failure mode. I started carrying it back when I was fixing mainframes since it was a psychological move. Back then mainframes were usually serviced with the field engineer bringing in a pile of case filled with spare parts. If I could fix something fast with something from my pocket, it made the original problem appear minor. Worked like a (swiss) Champ!

2)

When traveling to Jerusalem for a LV consulting project, I arrived at the airport and while trying to get through the initial security I found myself talking to young woman that was inside a bomb-proof enclosure. She asked why I was visiting and I just replied honestly saying first I was there to help a local company and then when asked what I was going to help with I answer "I going to help with an atomic force microscope". Shortly there after a gentleman walked up behind me, put his hand on my shoulder and said "Come with me, you are going to talk to some of my buddies." My better-half latter said that I should not have used two of those three words.

After setting on a cinder-block room for hours and being watched via cameras, I was lead back to a room were I soon felt I was in a "B" spy movie. Two gentlemen, wearing vests (in August) started asking me questions. Eventually they asked "Is that a screwdriver in your pocket?" I said yes as I pulled out the NI pocket screwdriver to show them. One asked "How did you get through security with that?" I said, "I do not know but I did it twice." Eventually the verified my story and let me go.

3)

I carry a lot of stuff everywhere I go. Keys, Swiss Champ, Bible, lighter, wallet

years ago when working on downtown I was about to pull into the parking garage and realized I did not have my wallet with me. I was plenty early so I turned around and went back home to get my wallet. Returned to work and when I walked in the console room the operator looked up from the console and said "I thought you were supposed to be on vacation Ben."

Take care,

Ben

Message 1489 of 2,258
(10,069 Views)

I have been anxious to try out curved dry wall and I got my chance this past week-end.

It is far from perfect but good enough for my needs.

My better-half had to assist with the install but she was pleased that once we had the sheet in-place, it held itself up after dropping into the recess where it belonged. Give us time, we will get better at this.

Ben

Message 1490 of 2,258
(10,003 Views)