BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

@Ben wrote:

SnowMule and _Bryan!

That double back-flip reminds me of a video I saw last week whee people were using a chainsaw to propel them on ice skates. Both of which are nothing you would see me trying (willingly)!

Ben

I had to see that to believe it. I'm not sure why anyone would think that it's a good idea but searching Youtube for "Chainsaw Ice Skates" does come back with a good amount of hits.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 1461 of 2,258
(10,650 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

@Ben wrote:

SnowMule and _Bryan!

That double back-flip reminds me of a video I saw last week whee people were using a chainsaw to propel them on ice skates. Both of which are nothing you would see me trying (willingly)!

Ben

I had to see that to believe it. I'm not sure why anyone would think that it's a good idea but searching Youtube for "Chainsaw Ice Skates" does come back with a good amount of hits.

Just sit back and wait....

The Olympics will eliminate baseball and replace it with chainsaw-skate-racing.

Why not ... replace a sport that you can play while drinking beer with another sport that requires drinking beer to be silly enough to try it?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1462 of 2,258
(10,647 Views)

Re: Hobbit hole...

After wearing the electrician hat ...

to relocate junction boxes out of the cieling and adding more ciruit to suppor the lighting and outside light...

I switched ove to the carpenter hat to block in betwen the floor joists to support the coved wall ribbing...

and proceeded to put a deck srew through one of my fingers. I had to stop to clean/bandage it up to avoid getting blood on the carpet. But that is a GOOD thing! As I told my son years ago, in our family, the project is not done until someone bleeds on it.

Tonight I switch over to drywall mode and start putting sheets up on the ceiling.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1463 of 2,258
(10,605 Views)

Trying to put drywall up on the basement ceiling of 100 years old mining home ...

is a lot like try to assemble ji-saw puzzle from two incomplete sets on the ceiling.

You can only so go far before having to use a razor blade.

A little bit every night and with God's help my beter-half may get her Hobbit Hole sooner or latter.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1464 of 2,258
(10,577 Views)

The remodeling has continued and I thought I would share this.

That is a picture of the inside of a wall bonding the stairs. Thos baords are an inch thick and nine inches wide of old growth pine (between 24 inche centers). I can onlt guess that wood was very cheap back then (going on 100 years ago) or those borad were used as part of a coal bunker.

I am going to try and extract those boards with damage. I am sure I can find a use for them.

The adventures of remodeling an old house.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1465 of 2,258
(10,527 Views)

Shutterfly has changed their interface so I am just testing if I can still imbed images here from there.

The Universal cove kit arrived yesterday. If the final wiring for an outside light goes well and the insulation goes in with out complications, I may get started on the work to start the installation on the first wall.

Here is hoping the image works out.

Edit:

While combersome at first it turns out it now offers better resolution. Nice!

Ben

Message 1466 of 2,258
(10,491 Views)

I'd probably go for the Cave Kit, though. 😄

Message 1467 of 2,258
(10,467 Views)

I had once designed a cave-look room but my better-half is, at heart, a Hobbit and in matter of this type, she wins.

After installing the wire for the outside light and putting in the insullation I was able to get a few of the ribs in that will support the coved ceiling. The wife approved now that she can start to see what I hade been visualizing. While those ribs will be covered with 1/4 sheetrock and hidden they still give a hint of what it could look like after the wood trim is installed to simulate arched beams.

Not a grioned ceiling as would be ideal but I have a library on the floor above and I only have a seven foot ceiling in this room. A groined ceiling would require that we actually be hobbit sized.

Ben

Message 1468 of 2,258
(10,439 Views)

My first entry into the Comic Caption contest, and I won!

http://www.automation.com/library/comics/otto-has-the-cap-comic-series/otto-mation-comic-caption-con...

Groan....

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 1469 of 2,258
(10,420 Views)

One wall done for now. Sinc ethe 1/4 drywall is not available everywhere I will defer installing the curved parts until I am ready to make the long drive to get the sheetrock. Two walls shouldbe enough for the drive.

It is a little challenging trying to remodel a room that we are still using but we are managing... aside from that wine glass the better-half broke since the room has been reduced to a fraction of the original size. As the old saying goes "If you want to make a omlette Hobbit hole, you have to break a couple of eggs wine glasses."

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1470 of 2,258
(10,216 Views)