From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

@JÞB wrote:

Anne Shrubbery.png

Smiley Happy

Quite possibly cooler that a giant turtle

Spoiler
That's An Shrubbery right there!

Congratulations on the shrubbery Jeff!

I hope yours does better than mine did!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1451 of 2,258
(10,704 Views)

It has been more than a month since I posted anything off-topic so I will offer a project I am working in my spare time.

My better-half (God bless her!) has been leting me go and spend time on topics that interest me for quite a while. But now she has requested I take on a project of her selection. She wants a Hobbit hole sorta like this.

We have a room in the basement that, aside from some paint is still in the condtion it was when we purchased the place (a handyman special). Two images that show the current state follow.

Note: that door was recently replaced.

Studying the prototype picture of Bag-End I decided the two major features that make a Hobbit hole look like a Hobbit hole are;

Curved corners where the walls meet the ceiling and,

Nice wood work with curved beams.

Two rough sketches of what I have in mind are shown below.

I located a prodcut called "Universal Cove Kit" which I will use to get the curved ceiling look. The beams will be built from custom made laminated curved beams.

I have had a good time so-far and I am getting out a kick out of working with remodeling, rewiring etc. for a change. Some times it is nice to get way from the electronic gizmos and get our hands dirty using another part of our brains.

Done with the off-topic for now.

Behave!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1452 of 2,258
(10,620 Views)

Ben, if you ever have the chance to visit the Dresden Opera* , you will solve solve your task with stucco.   However it will need the skills 😄

*) The fist flour looks like oak paneling , second like marble. But it's all gypsum 🙂

One of the reconstruction  artist painted his Trabat car like oak 🙂  need to find a picture ....

However working with real wood is great 🙂 Just made the floor in our 'parent bathroom' ** with massiv oak deal board that was waiting for ~10a to be used 🙂 . It was hard to find massiv oak wash board. All you get here in town was paper fake junk. I still have 3 boards left and a good wood mill to DIY  BTDT, but the mill is buried in the garage 😄

Wooden floor an linseed oil .. no problem even in a bathroom 🙂 and nice to the bare feet.

**) I have 3 daugthers, so when they get older, you absolutely need a parent bathroom in the morning rush hour. 😄 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 1453 of 2,258
(10,606 Views)

I have some experience with stucco from when I put 2 inches of foam insualtion on the outside wall of the basement. I have much more experince with drywall joint compond. At one time I had a rough area over what had been an ouside wall I could not help myself and carved a relief of a screaming face trapped in the wall trying to get out. My son and Wife liked it.

But I think I am going to stick with using laminated oak for the curved beams. I have never attempted such and I think I could learn something (when I finally get it right).

Ben

PS Are your sure it is stucco and not Fresco?

0 Kudos
Message 1454 of 2,258
(10,600 Views)

The caption for the above said Fresco to reduce the chance of fire.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1455 of 2,258
(10,595 Views)

@Ben wrote:

The caption for the above said Fresco to reduce the chance of fire.

Ben

What apears to be oak panelling at the walls is gypsum 🙂  but you have to make a real close look to seen it.  Nowadays nice to fullfill fire regulation, but is was first build (in gipsum) way before that was a serious regulation problem 😉 At that time you build as the sovereign wish 😄

Also inside the the main opera hall everything is made out of gipsum or better acoustics. (OK, you sit on  cushioned wooden chairs 😉 )

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 1456 of 2,258
(10,589 Views)

But(t) those cushions are isolated.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 1457 of 2,258
(10,545 Views)

Who still thinks that answering questions is a waste of time?

See this thread where my answer was accepted as a solution and picked up a Kudo at the same time.

Spoiler
After 10.5 years

Stick with it, be patient!

Ben

Message 1458 of 2,258
(10,518 Views)

@SnowMule wrote:

Getting the sled show-ready for Haydays next week... Rails swapped out, everything cleaned up, new nosepan/bumper after an incident with a tree last April... More big changes for it coming next week Smiley Wink

I saw this video and thought of your posts....  I bet you do this all the time....

https://youtu.be/i2T7Z50v_b4

Message 1459 of 2,258
(10,477 Views)

SnowMule and _Bryan!

That double back-flip reminds me of a video I saw last week whee people were using a chainsaw to propel them on ice skates. Both of which are nothing you would see me trying (willingly)!

Ben

Message 1460 of 2,258
(10,466 Views)