BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project VIEWvid - LabVIEW as Performance Art

Hi Gang!

I've been musing over a "pump up the love" campaign for LabVIEW for a while and I've started a grass roots project called "VIEWvid" on Youtube.

Some examples:

LabVIEW Bounce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUw5kQKM8M

LabVIEW XOR Neural Net

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vlfsullaEk

Anyone care to play with their own tight code?

Resources:

Windows Media Encoder
Windows Movie Maker
www.jamendo.com - royalty free music 

Please include the "VIEWvid" tag for easy searching.

Happy Holidays!

-Bill  =] 

Message 1 of 12
(10,786 Views)

Hi Bill,

I liked your videos.  But I noticed you were using LabVIEW 8.6...you could have cut your average video time in half if you had used Quick Drop instead of the palettes... 😉

-D

Message Edited by Darren on 12-19-2008 09:40 PM
Message 2 of 12
(10,774 Views)

Yikes!

I was hoping to inspire the KeyKoders to evolve, not crush them!  :smileyvery-happy:

Using Keydrop we could fit about an hour of keykoding under the 10-min Youtube limit!

For more hyperbole, check this comparison:

LabVIEW Formula Node

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka7-A5s_8-w 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(10,753 Views)

Oops!

Sorry for the true Freudian slip of "Key Drop" for "Quick Drop"....   :smileysad: 

I meant no bad vibes for Quick Drop... pretty cool.

But I like to keep my left hand on the LabVIEW editing home row of Ctrl,Z,X,C,V,B.  I don't see myself leaving to peck for a right-hand character on the QWERTY keyboard.

I have enough trouble finding the number keys as it is...  :smileywink: 

-Bill  =] 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(10,747 Views)

My left hand hardly ever leaves its default position on the keyboard...I've set up left-handed shortcuts in Quick Drop for almost all of my commonly-dropped objects.  Check out my advanced Quick Drop tips before you make your next video.  😉

-D

Message 5 of 12
(10,723 Views)

Brilliance, sheer brilliance!

I'm off to practice my Ctrl-space combo...

I'm also adding a new USB or Bluetooth data acquisition device to my holiday wish list...  something along the lines of the "Quick Drop Input Accessory".

Perhaps a multipoint touch pad or smart-phone touch screen than can recognize left hand finger gestures and touch patterns that access the Quick Drop shortcuts?

Please tell me NI has some hardware like this in development...

-Bill   =] 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(10,716 Views)

williamlweaver wrote:

Please tell me NI has some hardware like this in development...

Sorry Bill, I'm just a software guy.  😉

-D

Message 7 of 12
(10,696 Views)

Hey Darren,

I know it is a bit futuristic, but a 7" LCD touch screen is available starting tomorrow (12/22/2008).

http://technabob.com/blog/2008/12/01/nanovision-mimo-7-inch-mini-monitor-hands-on-review/ 

It's initial application is for just a bit more screen real estate next to your primary monitor via USB, but with the touch screen version, I can envision it laying flat in front of my keyboard with my left hand resting on it.

With a bit of LabVIEW magic with either Boolean controls or gesture recognition, I can see it becoming a $199 Quick Drop gadget. :smileyhappy:

I'm currently evaluating the Livescribe Pulse digital smartpen for data acquisition.  Perhaps this can be put into my project queue.

-Bill  =] 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(10,689 Views)

I ordered the MiMo 740 last week as a Christmas present to myself, but it will arrive a bit late Smiley Sad

I could see this being used as a detachable primary display on a Windows based PXI chassis.

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 9 of 12
(10,646 Views)

Wow, Phillip!  That is awesome!

I don't want to stray too far off thread topic, but speaking data acquisition wise, I hope these types of touch screens become standard issue on just about everything.

They've been using them for fast food POS registers for years....

It's about time the technology filtered "up" into the research, development and production floors...

-Bill  =] 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(10,629 Views)