BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning for NI week 2008

Hi Everybody!
   it's quite a dream, but... I hope I can be at NI week 2008! So I was seeking some useful infos about it. I'd like to understand better, from people who already went there, past years,  what's the  registering options, and (practically) what are they for.  Yes, I know the link of NI Week registration, I was only wandering if, in your opinion, it's better to do a full conference registration (costy Smiley Indifferent), or something else.  I'm not an educator, so I can't take discount from this, nor I'll come with a group.... so, what's the advice?!?!?

Apart from this, there's alzo the accomodation! I've never been in Austin.... (and never to the USA...Smiley Sad ), so.... what is worth to know?!?!?

Really thanks in helping me to fulfill this little dream Smiley Happy !

Have a nice day, and... perhaps, see you at NI week?

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(7,729 Views)
For registration, in lieu of any other discounts, registering by spring 08 usually will give a discount. If you are coming a long way for NIWeek, going to the entire event is probably the best idea. As to accomedations, National Instruments negotiated really good discounts with a number of the hotels downtown for NIWeek07, but those probably get taken way before the date of the event (although I was able to book my hotel only about a month before). The weather is very warm in August, but the hotels, NIWeek coinference center, etc., are frequently air conditioned to extreme, so having a light jacket is a good idea. I might not rent a car the next time, it spent most of the time in the garage at the hotel, at an additional cost, while I walked the 5 blocks to the conference.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 2 of 25
(7,706 Views)

Also, to save some additional money, you can try getting someone else to share a hotel room (and the bill) with you. That's what someone at LAVA did this year. As mentioned, the hotels are all down-town and probably less than 15 minutes walking distance from the convention center.

The conference itself is something like this -

• There are 4 days. The first is for alliance members, and they scan your card at the entrance to each room, so you can't get in unless you're an alliance member. I'm not sure, but I think this is also true for the exhibit. The other three days (or 2.5 for many people, since a lot of people have flights on Thursday) are open.
  • In the morning, there's a keynote, where you have everyone together in the same hall.
  • During the day, there are various simultaneous sessions, which are published about a month before NIWeek. Sometimes you get two sessions you want to go to at the same time. In that case, you either need to see if one of them will be repeated or give up one of them. I don't think you can practically go to all the sessions you want to.
    NI's online system for scheduling your sessions this year wasn't particularly good. Maybe next year they'll improve it.
  • Also during the entire day, there's an exhibit with all kinds of interesting stuff. You just wander in and out. I don't know if lunch is included in the price of the conference, but I was told the food wasn't that great, so you might wish to take that into consideration.
  • During the evenings, there are various fun activities, some organized by NI, some by LAVA and some privately.

You can gain a lot from the sessions, but you can probably gain even more from interacting with R&D and other users (if you can find them).

As for another issue, make sure your flight times are reasonable. I came to the alliance day on Monday, but because my flight was bumped, I got in around 23:00 on Sunday instead of around 15:00 after about 24 hours of travelling, and you probably want to sleep well. Someone else was so delayed that she only got there on Tuesday night.

You also probably don't want to stress yourself for leaving too early on Thursday. I just grabbed a Friday flight to San Francisco and took a few days off. Yes, it causes you to be away for almost two weeks, but it's probably worth it.

If you can afford it then pay for the full conference. If you can't then you don't need to spend a dime. All the keynotes are free. The exibition hall is free. The only thing i'm not sure about is the evening events but you can probably sneak-in for free there too.

Some here on the forums claim the sessions have little value, others say they're awsome. Who knows really. I don't really care, I go because it's my life, my career, my job... I have to go.

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
Message 4 of 25
(7,701 Views)
Hi People,
   Thanks everybody, very, very useful informations!!!

If I'm coming, I think I'll come to full conference.  The flight from Italy already costs a lot, so why save money on this? It can be quite silly.... 

I like particularly the Hotel availability, while I find strange so long flight delays...   Coming from Italy will make me take 2 flights, something like Milan->NY, NY->Austin..... someone knows a better way? Maybe I can fly directly from some european city to Austin....

Thanks again!

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(7,672 Views)

yes you can:

last time i took a Lufthanza flight to Houston. then some 2.5 hours drive to Austin. it is not that difficult, and Lufthanza flights are really really good (and not more expensive). you will still need 2 flights tough.

i dream to get to NI week. either need a company support, or make my own company (which would support me Smiley Very Happy) )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wires...
Message 6 of 25
(7,655 Views)
Hi Gabi1!
   I'd prefer to fly directly to Austin, I prefer to travel in Europe (where I'm more familiar Smiley Wink ) then jump directly to Ni week!

Any further suggestion is wellcomed!

graziano
Message 7 of 25
(7,654 Views)
I agree that it is nice to fly directy into Austin. It is a great airport and not as hectic as in the big cities.

Public transportation is very good. You can take the city bus about every 20 minutes and it will take you very close to the conference center and hotels for 50 cents.

If you enjoy live music, there are quite a few live music venues on 6th streeet, all within walking distance. You definitely don't need a car, it is just extra hassle. NI provides bus transportation to the outside events.

The negotiated Hotel rates are typically around $100/night. Make sure you get a Hotel that also offers free internet, some charge extra for that. In previous years, I stayed at the Hampton, right west of the conference center (but this year it was not listed). This year I was at the Omni, a block or two further away. Great Hotels, both.

Last year I brought my wife and we stayed a few extra days for sightseeing and adventures. Enjoyed it!

If you love bats, go to the congress bridge (walking distance) in the evening for a spectacle. 🙂

Message 8 of 25
(7,647 Views)
the problem with Austin is that there is no (that i know of) direct flight to Europe. so you have to pass trough one of the big hubs, like NY or Chicago. that might make the overall trip much longer. personally, i hate the transfer in both those cities.
but i have a feeling there is a high chance for a flight Houston to Milano (most european companies goes to Houston).

but then again, it is all a question of taste. you could combine it with a nice trip to NY or Los Angeles (direct flight from big European cities), then in-US flight, as tst proposed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wires...
Message 9 of 25
(7,638 Views)
As someone from Austin, I know that our airport is called Austin Bergstrom International Airport, but in practice the only international flights are to some cities in Mexico.  It is a small airport, about 25 gates.  To fly direct from Europe, you need to fly into Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth.  San Antonio might have some international flights, but I don't know for sure.  The flight from Houston or D/FW to Austin is very short and happens often, so you might want to fly into one of those airports from Europe so that if you are delayed, you can just hop on the next scheduled flight without too much trouble.

Hope this helps  Smiley Happy

Laura
Message 10 of 25
(7,621 Views)