From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ooooo... Certified

So I showed up on my first day of work with my CLD shirt on. My supervisor has constantly poked fun at that shirt.

Not to be outdone, I started to show up to our weekly meetings with altered/printed certifications taped to my shirt. A new one each week.

certified.png

Some of my favorites

1. Certified Dude
  2. Certified Unwanted task target (new guy)
  3. Certified LabVIEW shirt guy
  4. Certified Electron Counter
  5. Certified Global Synnergistic Integrated Innovation Optimizer
  6. Im am become static, destroyer of tests                 (long story involving an ESD gun failing nearby tests)
  7. Certified, Certificated, and Certifiably Certain
  8. Certified not letting this old joke die
  9. 180° Out of phase             (written upside down... of course)
  10. Certified Diagram monkey

So this is really for people's amusement, but I wouldn't object to new ideas. I have to continue beating this dead horse for awhile.

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
Message 1 of 22
(10,100 Views)

You can always work to become a Certified LabVIEW Gladiator.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 2 of 22
(10,079 Views)

OUTSTANDING!

Keep hammering the importance of certification!

• Certified means nobody can Ctrl+U
  • Certified Wire Nut

I'm certain others will chime in

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 3 of 22
(10,064 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

You can always work to become a Certified LabVIEW Gladiator.

I avoid that joke because a LOT of people took it seriously.  They obviously just read the headline and not the article or realized the day it was published.  But I still get questions about the CLG from random people.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(10,023 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

OUTSTANDING!

Keep hammering the importance of certification!

It is kind of funny how little certification I've seen in the last two jobs I've been in (Mr Crossrulz being the extreme exception... I think he just enjoys collecting all the badges Smiley Tongue ). So either I just happen to work in places where no one cares, or it'll just take a lot of time for wide-spread respect of the certifications. That only happens when you have certified all-stars out there rocking the G code.

Although people who have taken the CLD test do tend to respect the CLD. I imagine it's the same for CLA.

Oh, and my supervisor's jokes aren't disrespect. I just work with a LOT of jokers which makes the job fun.

Josh
Message 5 of 22
(10,005 Views)

JW-JnJ wrote: (Mr Crossrulz being the extreme exception... I think he just enjoys collecting all the badges Smiley Tongue )

Me?  Extreme?  Not possible /Sarcasm

I currently have 3 NI frames in my cube right now.  Maybe I'll pick up another one in a couple of months.

JW-JnJ wrote:
So either I just happen to work in places where no one cares, or it'll just take a lot of time for wide-spread respect of the certifications.

I think it is the area (as in location) we are in.  People around here for whatever reason do not see the need for certification.  Then my (then) boss started using me as a sales pitch and then certification suddenly became something management desired.  My current employer puts a lot of stock into certification.

But as far as the importance of certification, I actually have a little less respect for the CLD lately.  Ok, the ones who have been CLDs for a long while (like Jeff!  When are you getting that darn CLA?).  I have worked with 2 of them in the last year and their code is absolutely crap.  Just saying that just because you have a CLD does not mean you are a good programmer.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 22
(9,987 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:
Just saying that just because you have a CLD does not mean you are a good programmer.

This is true, I've even seen a couple CLAs here asking questions on how to properly use tree and MCLB controls I can't seem to find it now but one was how to select a row in a MCLB programatically.  That made me cringe a bit.  But having them go through a practical application for an exam must mean something right?...right?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(9,981 Views)

True, but that situation is pretty much univeral to pieces of paper. Having a college degree doesn't make you good at a job.

The NI certifications aren't easy, so I respect that they passed those tests. Doesn't mean I blindly respect their work. It's a good step towards it though.

Josh
Message 8 of 22
(9,979 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

JW-JnJ wrote: (Mr Crossrulz being the extreme exception... I think he just enjoys collecting all the badges Smiley Tongue )

Me?  Extreme?  Not possible /Sarcasm

I currently have 3 NI frames in my cube right now.  Maybe I'll pick up another one in a couple of months.

JW-JnJ wrote:
So either I just happen to work in places where no one cares, or it'll just take a lot of time for wide-spread respect of the certifications.

I think it is the area (as in location) we are in.  People around here for whatever reason do not see the need for certification.  Then my (then) boss started using me as a sales pitch and then certification suddenly became something management desired.  My current employer puts a lot of stock into certification.

But as far as the importance of certification, I actually have a little less respect for the CLD lately.  Ok, the ones who have been CLDs for a long while (like Jeff!  When are you getting that darn CLA?).  I have worked with 2 of them in the last year and their code is absolutely crap.  Just saying that just because you have a CLD does not mean you are a good programmer.

WARNING: Rambling ahead

OK So I'm not exactly an "Over-the-top" envioronmentalist but, I try not to waste paper!  My current CLD it valid through April 30th 2016 and I've already printed the next CLD Certificate valid til 4/29/2019. Hmmm, I lose a day?.

Yes, It is possible to pass the CLD and still be a "One Trick Pony" simply by parroting an event driven QMH.  AQ once told me "The trouble with AF is that; if it is all you know, everything looks like an Actor."  These CLDs seldom recert by exam.  Some lapse, Some just take the CLA to avoid the knowledge test.  Personally, I wonder if Recert by Points should be restricted to Certifications that require both a practical and a written component such as CLA or CLD + CLD-R.

Why I Am Not CLA Today:  First, If anyone even suspects that I am not a "Champion of Certification" let me set them straight now!  If I am around you, and I think you have the skill or enough talent that a bit of mentoring and an online course could get you that skill, I will hound you worse than Tim hounds me about getting your Certification.  and check the Certification board Kudos Leaderboard  If fact, I'll give you three guesses as to how many posts on that board I have not read.  Simply put: The Knowledge of LabVIEW required for CLA does not excede that needed to be a good CLD and MyBusiness.Model(tm) is to show teams that LabVIEW is approachable!  You don't need to be a CLA to write effective LabVIEW (But hacking at it is "Bad Bad Bad")  I'm in fairly good company as a CLD (hint look at the Alt*'s but I charge a bit more than "Peanuts Kudos" for my work.  Of Especial note: That one example is a relatively new addition to the list of CLD's I've seen remarks by the individual to the effect that "It wasn't easy to get" Smiley Surprised )  

Further Rambling:

• JW, How the heck do you dare slough off at work when your supervisor can sneak up on you hiding behind an shrubbery?~~~<Shudders>~~~
  • IMO Tim doesn't like collecting those badges as much as he hates buying his own shirts! Trust me, I have reasons to believe thatSmiley Very Happy
  • As long as we are razing.  When are you two going to get those grey polos? I thought you'ld have them by now!
  • Bring up the CLA Summit????  I have access to a good portion of the content an do take a lot away from the presentations.  I don't need the Cert for that.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 9 of 22
(9,947 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

• IMO Tim doesn't like collecting those badges as much as he hates buying his own shirts! Trust me, I have reasons to believe thatSmiley Very Happy
  • As long as we are razing.  When are you two going to get those grey polos? I thought you'ld have them by now!

Just because my weekly wordrobe consists of 3 NI polos.  And I occaissionally wear my Belcan polo.  And then I have 3 LabVIEW T-shirts I wear during the week.  And then 3 NI Week t-shirts.  But those are not nearly as awesome as my two LabVIEW pocket protectors!  And I just asked you where I could get the onsies.  You're the one that went and ordered them.

My boss and I have actually discussed working on getting those grey shirts.  Something to bring up again whenever I have my evaluation.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(9,899 Views)