BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NoFlo... to get ride of spaghetti code

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/noflo/noflo-development-environment?ref=category

Is that funny?

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 1 of 11
(8,972 Views)

Interesting. I got through the author's website and found this:

"Hasn't visual programming been tried before?

The story of visual programming tools started with the GRaIL system of the 60s, and has progressed to tools like LabView and Pure Data. So far none of these tools has reached mainstream acceptance outside of their (sometimes fanatic) industry niches.

This is partly because these tools were built originally with a particular problem domain in mind, and partly because of the user experience. Execution matters, as we've seen so many times in the tech industry. After all, there were tablets a lot before the iPads."

Here is the entire article for those who wish to read. I think it's worth reading.

http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/noflo-kickstarter-launch/

Best Regards,

Mondoni
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(8,962 Views)

It's almost like they took all of NI's marketing material from 25 years ago.  I guess Jeff K was more ahead of his time than we thought.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(8,958 Views)

There's been a few of these and I expect to see more.  Anyone remember Softwire? 

Before I started programing in LabVIEW, I was using a program called Visual Designer.  Comparing it to LabVIEW now would be a little like comparing Windows 8 and Windows 3.1   But in it's day it wasn't too terrible to use and it was fast. 

Of course the key to any of these "wire up the little boxes" platforms are the little boxes.  How many pre-made ones are there?  What can they connect to?  How stable is the complied code?

As a developer myself, I'm always interested in 'open' approaches.  Even if just to look under the hood and kick the tires.  🙂

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(8,936 Views)

So this is it folks... we're just a bunch of fanatics dealing with an indutry niche.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(8,928 Views)

TiTou escreveu:

So this is it folks... we're just a bunch of fanatics dealing with an indutry niche.

Sometimes I feel this is the common sense.

Mondoni
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(8,923 Views)

@TiTou wrote:

Someone at work was talking about a how trackpads don't scroll horizontally in most apps (just vertically). I said, "LabVIEW does". They said, "Yeah, but there are only 5-10k LV seats out there. I'm talking about multi-million-user programs."

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(8,881 Views)

So they mean it tracks horizontially only in the important programs? 5 - 10K seats, I think I know almost that many LabVIEW programmers myself! 😉

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(8,879 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:

So they mean it tracks horizontially only in the important programs?

That's how I took it. But they left hori-scroll out of their hardware, anyway.

@LV_Pro wrote:

5 - 10K seats, I think I know almost that many LabVIEW programmers myself! 😉

I can't claim that many - but I did meet Daklu a couple times. And 10 to 20 more, devs, out here.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(8,876 Views)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Kay

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it."- Alan Kay

“Most traditional "sequential procedural style simple state space programming," even within dynamic objects, is too fragile and verbose to scale well into the new computing environments.” - Alan Kay

If I may be so bold as to mention the old  "LabVIEW - in the toilet" thread calling into question a NI poster with the text "You live in a graphical world.  Why not program in one?"  

Keep on inventing the future!  (Don't worry too much about slow followers No Flow might make their 100,000 $ mark (I doubt it)  and if they do?  really, that is how many man-hours for a software developer?  and doesn't one need a machine, lighting and communications?  That is not a business model for success

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(8,856 Views)