Thanks Ray...

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 56
(8,503 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

-sigh-

5 screens wide by 3 screens tall. (that's just one VI)

Must refactor in 1 day.

- sigh -

Box random parts and Create sub-vi, let it save by default name and icon ... 😉

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 56
(8,447 Views)

That sounds like a serious pain.  I just run the vi, look at the functionality, create a new spec, and re-code the whole thing to make it 30 screen side :).  

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 56
(8,423 Views)

Well...  I jerry-rigged a solution and jumped from one frying pan into more fire.. 

Then I get to jump from the fire into the frying pan again..

I still strongly believe that people who program should learn how to program....

Well... I guess fixing code is good business..  😉

I needed to rant  (yeah... the above is not much of a rant...)

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 56
(8,352 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

Well...  I jerry-rigged a solution and jumped from one frying pan into more fire.. 

Then I get to jump from the fire into the frying pan again..

I still strongly believe that people who program should learn how to program....

Well... I guess fixing code is good business..  😉

I needed to rant  (yeah... the above is not much of a rant...)

Rant away Ray!  Your task reminds me of a program I worked on where I tried to look up how many Global References there were and the search thingy could not find them all, and stopped at 2500. Many of these Globals were Write-Only. There were inter-mixed names like Motor_Start and MotorStart. Many were doubled up - I guess to increase current handling.

Richard

Message 16 of 56
(8,319 Views)

Must be a programmer from the same tree..

This one has multiple entries within a cluster..

Example:

hello

hello

hello1

hello1

That's not so bad.  Altenbach would have a field day with all the Rube Goldberg code..  Well...  basically the code is a giant Rube Goldberg.  I'm sure when I'm done with it it will seem very simple..  It takes hours just to try to understand why a simple sub-vi is coded in that way. 

All numerics are converted to and from boolean arrays <=> U8 arrays..  to then be passed to another sub-vi as a number.  -SIGH-

I'll have to dive into the wine...  maybe something stronger... tonight.

Message 17 of 56
(8,312 Views)

Ray.R wrote:

I couldn't agree more. While it is true non-programmers can create very simple programs in LabVIEW with little or no programming experience large applications require someone who is a programmer. And this is where NI has failed over the years. Continually marketing it as a language anyone could use. They set the expectation that it's so easy anyone can do it. As a result we end up with these large monstrosities which end up giving LabVIEW a bad name. The code either works poorly or not at all and rather than blame the person who wrote the code they blame LabVIEW as reason it failed.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 18 of 56
(8,308 Views)

Perfectly said Mark.

I deleted the long paragraphs originally written as the reply.  I best be quiet...

I'll go back to the horrible code. 

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 56
(8,301 Views)

Mark Yedinak wrote:
[...]The code either works poorly or not at all and rather than blame the person who wrote the code they blame LabVIEW as reason it failed.

Well said. It pains me when LabVIEW gets the heat, rather than poor management and unqualified programmers.
The program I was referencing above was used in a product (not a test environment). The owners of the equipment had gotten wind that the code was LabVIEW. They chatted up some "seasoned" C++ programmers at the site, and they all jumped on the anti-LabVIEW bandwagon. Every bit of that products bad behavior was traced to race conditions.
Richard

Message 20 of 56
(8,301 Views)