BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Native LabVIEWers & Migrators

AppleBASIC (on the IIe), VAXBasic, VB and later VBScript, C, C++, Java and then Javascript (no relation) and HTML and XML, PHP, SQL of various flavors along with LV5+, and now some C# and .NET API's like XNA for fun... I always feel like a youngster in these threads.

Anyone have any ideas why LV is so irritating and/or threatening to traditional text programmers?  By and large, programmers are an egalitarian bunch, so why are some languages so sneered at when they produce such proveable results?
Message 21 of 27
(5,857 Views)

"... Anyone have any ideas why LV is so irritating and/or threatening to traditional text programmers?  ...."

I could go on for hours with my theories but lets try this approach.

I think we see the same thing happening when LV updates and re-arranges the palettes and things get changed (yes I do it also!).

I look at these as the natural outcome of being LAZY.

This is really a sort of back-handed compliment.

I see laziness as being the motivating force behind the the exercise and development of intelligence. And as we all know engineers and scientists are some of the most intellegent people around.

So I think they see LV as a threat to their comfortable life-sytles.

Anyone else what to chime in?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 22 of 27
(5,840 Views)

@Underflow wrote:

why are some languages so sneered at when they produce such proveable results?

People always root for their home team and dismiss others, so people will always say "my X is better than yours".

When it comes to something like LV it's even worse, because programmers expect the code to be text based. When they see something like LV, they consider it not to be a real language (which they can compare to), but at best an application generator and at worst a toy which is only suited for simple tasks. This would be much in the same way that people would tell you something like "soccer \ baseball \ rugby \ whatever is not a real sport" even if you like it. There isn't really that much you can do about it. Some people come around and some don't and will always say stuff like "but I need to SEE the code". Just be happy you get to have an extra point of view and another skill.

My background was actually HW - instrumentation & controls (biomed)

I did do some programming way back in the days...  Started with Fortran & APL.  Then worked with a compiled version of BASIC.. and eventually Turbo-C..
Was away from programming for a while..  until C++ and then came Labview..

I much prefer Labview..  Been working regularly with it since LV-6.

Luv this forum cause this is where I did most of my learning..  And still learning a lot..  Even with courses from NI (which helped a lot).  I recommend the courses...  and reading the Rube Goldberg thread..  I probably authored most of the examples 😉

Message 24 of 27
(5,813 Views)

tst,

You ve NOT mentioned yet whether you re a Native or a Migrator.Smiley Wink

Please...

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
Message 25 of 27
(5,787 Views)

You're right, I guess I haven't.

Professionally, I'm a native (started with 6.1 in 2003). I did do some light programming as a hobby before (mostly Basic, but also a tiny bit of C and some Logo (!). "FD 120. LT 90", those were the days Smiley Happy ).

I do actually feel that having proper prior experience with other languages would have been very helpful, but even so I could manage. What I like even more is that some of the people in our company managed to pick it up (albeit slowly and not perfectly) even without knowing anything at all about programming and that would be much harder in C.

As for how people might feel about LabVIEW - consider ladder logic (here's an example:

).

Would you consider that to be proper programming? That's what LabVIEW looks like to other people.

P.S. comparing LabVIEW to ladder logic is not fair, because they're on completely different levels, but my basic point stands.

I m a proud Native; I dont know any text based PL, NOR the principles of PL... Smiley Wink

I can read any text-based PL, NOT understand ! Smiley Very Happy

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
Message 27 of 27
(5,772 Views)