BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI News Question: What kind of instrument would you design?

Ok, question of the month time for NI News. Here's what Qualcomm did with a software-designed instrument. So now we want to know what you would do. If you could design an instrument to do anything you wanted, what would it be?

Our favorite answer winsyou guessed ita hallowed NI tchotchke.

Check out the 101 Things to Do With a Software-Designed Instrument video if you need some inspiration (it's only 49 seconds).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 58
(10,894 Views)

Reading between the lines, you are looking for application ideas for the new NI-VST, not just any generic instrument, right?

I am not too familiar with the VST, but maybe it could be made into a wireless password cracker? 😮

(I probably have many more ideas for simple, ultracheap embedded LabVIEW thingies, such as for home automation. :D)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 58
(10,866 Views)

Nope, it can be anything! For me, the first thing that comes to mind is an instrument that scans the entire building and tells me where the closest vending machine with a snickers is. For some reason, the machine on my floor is always out. It's a very specific application, but, hey, this is my instrument!

So my question is just about any software-designed instrument you can think of. When you have an instrument that reacts to you, and you can turn it into anything you want--what would you do? But of course VST applications are welcome. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 58
(10,863 Views)

Something that controls my office blinds based on the glare on my computer screen!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 58
(10,859 Views)

Any instrument to to aid autonomous driving might be a hot market.

While driving home from last month's Bay Area LVUG meeting, I saw this guy on the highway and drove behind/beside him for a few miles (and apparently, as of last week, it's now legal here in CA). One thing that stood out was the amount of optimization that could be engineered into the sensory network - the spinny gizmo on top seemed bulky, and the displacement sensor on the rear driver's-side wheel could be better-integrated. (Um, I guess "driver's side" no longer applies) These are not critical observations -- just acknowledging there's room for optimization.

(Note: I did not take this picture, it's from here, but it's basically the same view. And in case you're wondering - there were two guys in the two front seats)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 58
(10,830 Views)

Build my own instrument in?  Why would I do that I'll just get an NI AE to integrate a GPS and Software defined Radio interface into some existing hardware (Well it's still being assembled) Thanks Kitt.

Spoiler
Yes my VST is coming, Don't Tell Snowmule.  His buddy in the RR Industry still thinks Positive Train Control by 2015 is a stretch. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 58
(10,791 Views)

@bcwilson wrote:

Ok, question of the month time for NI News. Here's what Qualcomm did with a software-designed instrument. So now we want to know what you would do. If you could design an instrument to do anything you wanted, what would it be?

Our favorite answer winsyou guessed ita hallowed NI tchotchke.

Check out the 101 Things to Do With a Software-Designed Instrument video if you need some inspiration (it's only 49 seconds).

The challenge: Working out where exactly I left my phone.

The instrument: Using a series of diversely located antennas it forces a connection between the phone and tower by sending a text message or call. The resulting signal spike (as can sometimes be detected as radio static) is checked for signal strength and used to locate the phone within the building.

Other uses: Locating all employee phones within the building, locating all unauthorised hotspots,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 58
(10,732 Views)

Instruments?

Devices yes.

1) Hand-help cell phone jammer. for use while driving to get the fool who is on their cell phone and riding my bumper to stop talking and start paying attention. Bonus points if it auto-detects the cell-phone usage and jams them without distracting me from from my burger and beer.

2) RearVIEW-Speak Use voice recognition to convert my mumbling into text displayed on a LED marque in the back window. Bonus points for auto-edits so as not to offend any children.

So looking at those two you would think I have a bad comute. It is hard to have a hard comute that is only 12 minutes long but a cell-talking-bumper rider can changes things fast.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 8 of 58
(10,711 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Instruments?

Devices yes.

1) Hand-help cell phone jammer. for use while driving to get the fool who is on their cell phone and riding my bumper to stop talking and start paying attention. Bonus points if it auto-detects the cell-phone usage and jams them without distracting me from from my burger and beer.

2) RearVIEW-Speak Use voice recognition to convert my mumbling into text displayed on a LED marque in the back window. Bonus points for auto-edits so as not to offend any children.

So looking at those two you would think I have a bad comute. It is hard to have a hard comute that is only 12 minutes long but a cell-talking-bumper rider can changes things fast.

Ben

There should be a Manhattan Project on how to stop idiots from using cell phones while driving - but allowing their use if you're not an idiot. Like me. Smiley Tongue Someone close to me can't even talk on the phone while driving without endangering lives. Then she started texting while driving. God help everyone in Columbus, OH. Smiley Mad

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 9 of 58
(10,687 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:
God help everyone in Columbus, OH.

I hear that.  I mean, they have to root for the Buckeyes.  Not sure even God can save them.

Go Blue!

Mich avatar.png

Since I'm already off topic....Ben, I've been thinking about making an LED sign and mounting it in my trunk that I can control with Bluetooth from a microcontroller and keyboard (maybe an iphone) mounted on or near my steering wheel so I can send messages to the fools.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 10 of 58
(10,678 Views)