BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music While Working?

Just curious, do any of you listen to music while working, or find it distracting? If so, what do you listen to?

I do and it ranges from classical and baroque to rap Smiley Surprised! Sometimes no music is better though, I guess it depends on my mood.

Message 1 of 37
(12,830 Views)

Hmm, this has come up before, but I can't seem to find the thread.

Anyway, I usually listen to Detroit sports talk radio.  I'm not great at multitasking, so my productivity goes down unless I'm listening to something with no words.  I typically prefer movie soundtracks or classical for good working music.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 2 of 37
(12,827 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

I do and it ranges from classical and baroque to rap Smiley Surprised! Sometimes no music is better though, I guess it depends on my mood.

:nod  Glad i'm not the only one with wide musical tastes... not uncommon to go between 80's pop, dubstep, turkish rock, trance, reggae, and j-pop in the same day.  Depends on what I feel like.

di.fm, sky.fm for streaming stuff, got a few gigs locally on droid too. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 37
(12,815 Views)

Just made a crop selction of my desktop...WinAmp12load.png

I have currently 12 player running feeding 12 (piezo) speaker all with different sources Smiley Surprised

(Using two SB audigy 2 value , up to 8 channels output each, not counting the 6 channels from the build in)

Doesn't sound nice...

Why?  We have a public day next month and I want to demonstrate how to pick up one source over some meters distance via a scanning vibrometer 🙂

Just wrote a script to start up the 12 instances of the WinAmp  ..

EUREKA ! (Ups that was another thread ) ASIO4ALL driver and  JACK allow me to feed each speaker 🙂

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 4 of 37
(12,809 Views)

Kudos, because I love winamp.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 37
(12,798 Views)

@elset191 wrote:

Hmm, this has come up before, but I can't seem to find the thread.

Well, there was one on LAVA a few years ago - http://lavag.org/topic/8201-what-music-do-you-code-to/ 

My answers are there.

(12,780 Views)

I find music and good headphones a great way to drown out all the background noise at work. Ear plugs alone don't work with severe tinnitus. Ranges from Louis Armstrong, AC/DC, Queen, early Van Halen, Pink Floyd, Roy Orbison, Billy Joel and many others.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 37
(12,775 Views)

@Henrik Volkers wrote:

Why?  We have a public day next month and I want to demonstrate how to pick up one source over some meters distance via a scanning vibrometer 🙂

That is incredibly cool. Just for my engineering curiosity, is it something like a phase array?

On topic: Music may be distracting, but I find it essential. For one, people near my cube are LOUD and random noise is more distracting. Plus, I think doing and thinking one thing for long periods of time kills creative thinking (same reason I have my Eureka moments at home).

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
Message 8 of 37
(12,758 Views)

@Wayne.C wrote:

I find music and good headphones a great way to drown out all the background noise at work. Ear plugs alone don't work with severe tinnitus. Ranges from Louis Armstrong, AC/DC, Queen, early Van Halen, Pink Floyd, Roy Orbison, Billy Joel and many others.

Alas there is never silence to someone with tinnitus. Smiley Sad I've had mine for over 20 years and I live with it with no trouble. But once in a while a little voice inside my head wants to rise up and scream: "I JUST WANT ONE MINUTE OF COMPLETE SILENCE! JUST ONE!" (sigh)

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 37
(12,748 Views)

Nothing wrong with a little Allman Brothers Band, not hard to guess which song in particular. 

The group du jour is Clutch, probably a bit harder to guess which song in particular.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 37
(12,745 Views)