BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low activity in the Tech Preview area

It is strangely silent in the Tech Preview area that was opened up recently by NI, where is everyone?

Have all the certified developers seen and discussed/are discussing everything in their summits, or is it just that everyone thinks it is too early to spend much time testing and commenting the preview stuff (a sin I am partly guilty of myself...as mentioned over there)? Some of it has been showcased earlier, but still - I am a bit surprised by the lack of activity over there.

(Perhaps some of the replies to this will have to come in the preview section due to their content...but I posted this here in case part of the problem is that people have not even signed up for the preview...).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,271 Views)

Well there was more than one secret revealed at NI Week this year.  As mentioned on stage this tech preview has been in an Alpha stage for a while.  And "a few years ago" NI reached out to a few hundred "Champions, select architects, and LabVIEW advocates" to make a software advisory board. (again this is all from NI Week 2016 keynotes it is public knowledge) 

So what I'm saying is, several hundred people have known this has been coming for a little while now, and lots of discussion has taken place over the years.  And as someone that was part of this group, I think opening up the tech preview to a larger audience gives NI a chance to get some fresh perspectives on things.  

For instance if the advisory board came to the conclusion that the palettes were a mess, but NI said "We think new users will like it", a larger group of opinions could be useful.  I think the Tech Preview is a great opportunity to get a larger feel for if the palettes are a mess, or if it is just a select few that feel that way.  So in this way I think some advisory board members might be sitting back, and wanting to see what the new Tech Preview members thing of features, without influencing them with the discussions that have already taken place.  (by the way the palette topic is just an example and I can't remember anyone actually saying it is a mess)

I don't know if all advisory board members are holding back discussions because of this, or if some just haven't signed up for the Tech Preview.  But one thing to be aware of is I expect discussions on the Tech Preview to wax and wane as new members, and features are added.  If a new drop of software came out you'd likely see more discussion, and then when everyone had said what they wanted discusssions may slow down until a new drop of software, or until a new batch of members are added.

Message 2 of 6
(5,229 Views)

I assumed as much (I got invited to some of the stuff you describe some years ago too, but did not participate for various reasons). I still hope everyone will start to share their thoughts and test results in the Tech Preview area soon though; even if it is just show that this is something they have contributed ideas to and/or love..., or to voice their concerns and ideas for improvements in the final product.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,205 Views)

As you probably know, participation requires an active SSP which automatically excludes some of the more active forum participants (e.g. retirees with plenty of free time, between jobs, students :D). Users with an active SSP typically work daily in plain old LabVIEW and any testing of new products would need to be done orthogonally to the regular work, taking time away from hobbies, sports, family activity and other important parts of life.

But yes, I encourage anyone to sign up and be part of the process to shape the future. The existence of the tech preview should also be mentioned at user group meetings and such, of course.

The tech preview is also somewhat unique that it would be important to have participants with little to no expericence with current NI software products because one important aspect is probably to observe the initial learning curve unbiased from experience (just guessing!). Again, these users might also not be on SSP and might be more hesitant to sign up in general.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,180 Views)

I just installed the tech preview soft not long time ago, but I just did not have time to play with it so far 😞 I was also surprised about the little number of posts in that forum board.

Anyway, when I get some time, I will dig into it too...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,077 Views)

Oh I just thought of another reason.  To be on the advisory board you have to sign an NDA, but to be part of the Tech Preview you don't.  So some members who are in both, might have a hard time discussing topics, where some aspects are still covered under the NDA.  I do hope new discussions get drummed up, I'm not just sure I'm the right person to start the topics, based on my involvement.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,071 Views)