BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview perspective/type of applications

Hello all,
   I am a student now,and have an experience of 2.5 years with labview.
Now I am am looking for direction to continue in studing software in more deep level : Labview or C++.
From the picture that I see (probably it isn's the whole picture), Labview used in : acadaemy, indsutrial contro,l and testings,
but C++ used everywhere.Sometimes I see that people whant somebody to "convert" they program from Labview to C++/C# etc.
My goal is only find a normal job after I finish my studies.
  So,what is your opinion, Labview or C++ ?

Thanks

Message Edited by mishklyar on 04-06-2008 03:07 PM

Message Edited by mishklyar on 04-06-2008 03:15 PM
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
LV 8.2 at Windows & Linux

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,598 Views)
"My goal is only find a normal job after I finish my studies."

As soon as someone defines what a "normal" job is, then perhaps this might be doable. Smiley Wink

Your questions cannot be answered because it's not the language that's important, it's what you do. In general, C/C++ gets used primarily if you're developing applications. It's also true that LabVIEW is primarily used in academia and in testing environments. Who's to say which is the more "normal" environment? These days it makes no sense to focus on just one language, as you will end up being exposed to many different languages. I've been primarily in test engineering, and I've used VB, C, C++, LabVIEW, and C#.

It should also be noted that the language isn't as important as knowing good design principles. In other words, knowing how to program rather than knowing the syntax of a particular language. If you know how to design and develop a solid algorithm it doesn't really matter what language you use to implement it. If your design is crap, then implementing in C, C++, or LabVIEW is just going to give you more crap.
Message 2 of 6
(7,561 Views)

Thanks for your reply, Smiley Happy

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
LV 8.2 at Windows & Linux

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,549 Views)

" If your design is crap, then implementing in C, C++, or LabVIEW is just going to give you more crap. "

Wow! Five stars before I ever read it. We have to add this one to the LV Proverbs thread.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 6
(7,511 Views)
Hello Mishkylar,

If you're hoping to find work that is strictly or mostly programming related, then it probably wouldn't hurt to learn some C,C++, etc.  The more well rounded a programmer you are, the more likely you would be to find someone looking for one or more of your talents. 

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,501 Views)

@Ben wrote:

" If your design is crap, then implementing in C, C++, or LabVIEW is just going to give you more crap. "

Wow! Five stars before I ever read it. We have to add this one to the LV Proverbs thread.

Ben

Cool! I've been immortalized. Well, at least until these forums stay online. Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,491 Views)