From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView vs LabWindows/CVI

This LV vs. CVI | CVI vs. LV argument comes up regularly, it seems to me a neverending story where opposers are not willing to change their minds in any way.

I feel sometimes astonished by tones in the discussion and I have to remember me that this is not a war, not even a competition!

NI is "the LabVIEW company" and is of course biased in supporting and promoting this IDE, nevertheless it produces CVI as well, and it remains a valuable instrument to use (and the second largest software board in this forum: it seems its users base is not so small). Both environments have their pros and cons but both can offer us the possibility to develop fantastic applications.

I don't think any IDE can be considered "absolute best": the best environment is the one that better suits your ability, your skills and the scenario you are moving in (e.g. Glen would be more assisted, more productive and ultimately happier if he joined the community of LabVIEW developers in its company).

Having used both I decided to stay with CVI for a series of reasons; my customers are satisfied with the applications I develop so I feel I made a good choice. It's not that I want to convince anybody to follow me, but I would be happier if you wirers don't look condescendingly at me Smiley Wink

(I didn't want to be rude in any way but English is not my native language: be indulgent)

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

Thanks for your comment RB. I highly respect your opinion. You have helped me (and many others) tremendously in the past. I still suspect your name is really Watson (of IBM fame) because you responses are consistently quick, accurate, and professional.

Message 212 of 221
(11,119 Views)

Ha! If I'd be a supercomputer I wouldn't enjoy so much trekking in the mountain!

20150920 Bocchette Centrali-.046.jpg

(on the other hand, I wouldn't be so tired when going back home at evening!) Smiley Wink

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

RobertoBozzolo

mountain pix is nice sir.

0 Kudos
Message 214 of 221
(11,089 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Two years ago in this thread I mentioned I'd never had a dialog with anyone who programmed in CVI and that hasn't changed.

CVI is quite prevalent where I am going.  So I might be the one to change that statement.

Spoiler
That is unless I get my way and teach these old dogs some new tricks.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 215 of 221
(11,084 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@Hooovahh wrote:

Two years ago in this thread I mentioned I'd never had a dialog with anyone who programmed in CVI and that hasn't changed.

CVI is quite prevalent where I am going.  So I might be the one to change that statement.

Spoiler
That is unless I get my way and teach these old dogs some new tricks.

Brian's statement is not exacly true.  To wit: He and I have dialogged on several occasions.  In his defense, there are many other things, besides programming in LabWindows CVI, that I have done in the past that I don't mention in polite company.Smiley Embarassed  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 216 of 221
(11,039 Views)

I should have choosen my words more carefully I suppose.  If I ever need any CVI work I'll hit you up.

0 Kudos
Message 217 of 221
(11,030 Views)

LabVIEW is a graphic languge and Labwindow almost like C programming.

Both could use to industry, control and testing.

0 Kudos
Message 218 of 221
(10,992 Views)

I met some people say LabVIEW is run slower and could not control bit. Because they don't know how programing and how to use LabVIEW. I fell LabVIEW is more power and easy to modify, easy to understand. Can use in any where.

0 Kudos
Message 219 of 221
(10,993 Views)

Hello lab view Lover,

is it possible to interface labview and dll calls....[its painfull excercise]..lab windows easy as per my point of view.,Iam uswed both tools

0 Kudos
Message 220 of 221
(10,991 Views)