BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Scripting History

Scripts to write scripts!  Then someone will want a script to read the client's mind and write the program.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(6,339 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(6,330 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

Scripts to write scripts!  Then someone will want a script to read the client's mind and write the program.

Lynn

More like the program being able to record actions which it turns into scripts, and those scripts write a program which do different actions.

It sounds a bit more ridiculous in LabVIEW than it does in Excel since the purpose of macros in Excel is to automate data manipulation, while the purpose of scripts in LabVIEW is to automate program generation which then does on to data manipulation when it runs.

I agree it is unrealistic to expect this kind of feature.  I just like how the macro record feature of Excel gives you a headstart in creating a VBA script.  Something that gives you a head start in VI scripting would be cool as well.  But overall writing the base level of program, creating the VI's is much easier to do in LabVIEW given the graphical nature of programming, is far easier than writing a VB program in Excel where you have to find the functions, then get the syntax of the parameters typed in just right.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(6,294 Views)

RavensFan wrote:

Something that I think would be cool to have is something like the Excel Macro Recorder.  Where you do something manually, but the application is in the background translating that to code for you.  Then when you've stopped recording, you can go and look at it.

This is kind of what I meant when I proposed the following idea.  As usual my description of what I was looking for was most likely seriously lacking.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/A-better-Diff-and-Merge-in-the-IDE/idi-p/932208

Shane

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(6,288 Views)