BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just took the CLA

Congratulations

SO now you are a good programmer. Smiley LOL

Now you will have to go back and fix all of the stuff you did before this.

Tim
GHSP
Message 11 of 21
(8,561 Views)

@DianeS wrote:

I'm planning on taking the test later this summer.  Anything you feel you can share, would be awesome.

So as not to get in trouble, I will give some advice but not talk directly about the test. Instead I will relate it to the practice exam, seeing as everyone has that available.

3 Steps for success:

1) Take the practice exam...more than once

Sounds obvious (and I may be beating a dead horse...), but I know people that haven't taken the practice exam and didn't pass. Be able to regurgitate it and take it repeatedly until you complete in the required time. Heck, justmemorize the architecture in the sample solution so you can repeat it on the test! Although I didn't exactly do this, there is nothing that says you can't. Even if it's not an architecture you'd normally use, don't try to be a hero(see step 2). If it's what the grader wants to see and you can go in there and crank out a memorized architecture that fits the problem then DO IT! A dumbed down example of this is when preparing for my CLD I did everything Icould do memorize how to make a timer with a pause. Even if I thought I could recreate it on the exam with some thought, I memorized the stupid thing so I could do it in 2 minutes instead of 8 or 9. With something like anarchitecture, this time savings could become a difference of 10 minutes or 30.

2) Don't try to be a hero

You are not taking this test to prove what an innovative programmer you are. This is not a time for "groundbreaking" architectures. You are proving you know how to develop a scalable architecture in a quick amount of time. If aqueued state machine works, just use that! I would recommend not using OOP, because I find it to be too time consuming and the benefits don't outweigh the drawback of the time lost in a situation like this. But, that's just myopinion and some may be faster than me at using it.

3) Find the functionality portion of the test and go through that FIRST!

My first two suggestions could probably be found on any "tips for CLA success" blog or the like. But here is one I found to be helpful that no one really talks about. The functionality requirements take the most time to implementand effect your overall architecure the most. Start with these, even if they are at the back of the exam packet (like they are in the practice exam). Many of the UIrequirements are asthetic and a comment will suffice so savethose for last! I'm assuming the grader will be more forgiving if you write "[covers: blah blah] turn button red" versus "[covers: blah blah blah] Do initialization rutine here, see requiremetns for guidance!"

If you are in a time crunch at the end it's much easier to throw those UI comments in then be dealing with architecture/functionality. Also I found some requirements to overlap or be listed twice, say once in the UI and once in thefunctionality section (i.e. button functionality). Try to find these overlaps ahead of time and mark them in your test booklet. This way when you implement something that is in multiple sections of the requirements, you can add your [covers:] comment for each requirement that it meets while in that specific subVI. It's a major time killer when you implement something to meet a functionality requirement then an hour later have to go find thatimplementation again because a UI requirement is similar and will go in the same spot in the code.

Anyways, hope this helps and if you have more specific questions please ask!

Message 12 of 21
(8,542 Views)

"...Something like anarchitecture..."

That's what i typically use: a mix of architecture and anarchy

. 😄

Message 13 of 21
(8,529 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

"...Something like anarchitecture..."

That's what i typically use: a mix of architecture and anarchy

. 😄

Yup, I find it yields the best results. 

Apparently my spacebar was only working intermittently! 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(8,524 Views)

Congratulations dude.  This is a great accomplishment.  I hope to meet you at the summit next year.  I'm hoping I can join you at NI Week this year, but we'll see if my new company will let me.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(8,505 Views)

Congratulations!

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(8,426 Views)

Hi,

I have gone through your tips. It was nice. Still, I need to know few things.

I have taken practice exam thrice. But I could not complete on time in my all attempts. So I think I spent more time in coding. So I want to be clear in the area of, how much logic needs to be coded. If you give me a detailed tips by looking at my code, it would be more helpful for me. I am just a week ahead of my CLA exams. So I am eagerly waiting for your guidance.

Thanks in advance!!!..

Note: Attached code is in Version 9.0

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(8,061 Views)

Congratulation! Does this mean you can break out of the box?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(8,041 Views)

Thanks for your response.

But I could not understand your questions. I would like to refer few more solutions for the same ATM applications. If you have any sample code, could you please share it?

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(8,005 Views)

@ragu_C wrote:

Hi,

I have gone through your tips. It was nice. Still, I need to know few things.

I have taken practice exam thrice. But I could not complete on time in my all attempts. So I think I spent more time in coding. So I want to be clear in the area of, how much logic needs to be coded. If you give me a detailed tips by looking at my code, it would be more helpful for me. I am just a week ahead of my CLA exams. So I am eagerly waiting for your guidance.

Thanks in advance!!!..

Note: Attached code is in Version 9.0

You need very little logic in your code for the CLA exam. What you are trying to demonstrate is thta you can create an architecture/design and hand it off to less experienced coders (CLDs for example) to implement. Broken arros for a CLA exam are not a problem. You should not be trying to create a functional solution but a framework for others to complete.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(7,994 Views)