BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introductions

This year, I'm planning on coming to NIWeek, and while I figure it would have been fun to move around anonymously and see what people are saying, there's too much to be done, so I decided it would be an appropriate chance to put an end to the long standing joke and remove the mask.

First off, I'm afraid this is going to disappoint JLV terribly, but I am a guy. I never hinted otherwise and thinking I'm a woman had nothing more to stand on that thinking I was a man. Those who want to know how it started can have a look here.

There. That's me (and this time it really is me, although I do have shorter hair now).

Second - where in the world? Well, I thought it was fairly easy and I'm surprised no one suggested it. I'm from Israel - a place which is GMT+2 and which has the only large community of Hebrew speakers in the world (Occam's razor - the simplest explanation for how I know Hebrew, which has been mentioned a couple of times).
I know that some forum members did guess this (CC, for instance), but since no one made an official guess, no one wins the prize - a brand new Buggatti Veyron, which is a shame, because that's a really nice car. I guess I'll just have to keep it.

The heat part is easy - I live here, about a 30 minute drive from the sea of Galilee and about a mile from the Jordan river and it's hot! This week, for instance, it easily got to 110F. Even so, the place I live at is quite beatiful with lots of trees, grass and flowers and with wildlife ranging from insects and hedgehogs all the way to wild boars and deer.
The ski part is also easy - Even though I live about 200M (~700 ft) below sea level, Mt. Hermon,
at the northern tip of Israel, is the beginning of a range of tall mountains which go all the way through Syria and Lebanon and into Turkey (actually, the same mountains JLV mentioned in the other thread when he talked about his Lebanese friends) and it has a ski resort. That's about 2 hours away by car.

Third - the name tst. I suspect many are going to be disappointed, but the story is rather mundane - my boss was the one who initially created this user account and he simply named it after the company. Since his English is not perfect, he used all lowercase because that's the default.

Those who follow the LAVA forums or Info LabVIEW would also know me as Yen - that's simply a homophone of my initials (YN) and I selected it on a whim, since I never really liked the name T.S.T. (which is the proper pronunciation, BTW).

Those who are friends of BlondeGrrrl would know me as Old Grouch (hey, don't blame me. Altenbach came up with that name Smiley Very Happy ).

My real name is Yair Ne'eman, which would not be a very rare Hebrew name. Yair is biblical (examples include one of Jacob's grandsons and Mordechai's father), and is simply the masculine future verb for "light" as in "he (or it) will light".
Ne'eman means "loyal", "faithful", "trustworthy" or "true" (in the same meaning. As a piece of trivia, the word Amen is actually an acronym for "El melech ne'eman" which can be loosely translated into "God, the king, is true (to whatever)").
As for its recent history, it comes from Neumann, which simply means "new man", exactly like Von-Neumann, Paul Newman or (I'm guessing) Neiman-Marcus.

What else?
Well, I'm hoping to accomplish a lot at NIWeek. What do people suggest?
Should I bring a laptop?
What would be an appropriate blend between keynotes, lectures, the exhibition and talking to other people?

tst,

finally the secret is out!

I'd never guessed the mistery guitarer player/playtress (uuhm) would be a transformer Smiley Very Happy

Ton

PS sorry I'm not coming
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 2 of 24
(8,156 Views)

Yair:

Very good to 'meet' you finally. This will be my first NI Week so unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for you. In Austin it is not a dry heat, but rather humid.

And to clear things up, I am responsible for conjuring up BlondeGrrrl.

It shall be an honor to meet you in person.

-AnalogKid2DigitalMan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 3 of 24
(8,149 Views)

tst wrote:
Well, I'm hoping to accomplish a lot at NIWeek. What do people suggest?
Should I bring a laptop?
What would be an appropriate blend between keynotes, lectures, the exhibition and talking to other people?

Don't forget Alfred E. Neuman and Newman!

Ahh, Nice to meet you Yen. We'll meet at NI week! That's a long trip for you and only 2 hours for me.

Laptop is good to have.

I go to all keynotes, they're very entertaining and then i'll pick sessions that interest me. The rest of the time we hang out in the LabVIEW zone or collect free pens from vendors. 😄 Don't forget to come to my session about fitting. 😉

There are a lot of small music venues nearby for the evening or you can watch the largest urban bat colony under the congress bridge leave for their evening hunt.

You will be used to the heat, but maybe not to the humidity. 😮 Indoors is usually almost too chilly.

Message 4 of 24
(8,148 Views)

altenbach wrote:

Don't forget Alfred E. Neuman

Yes, I was actually thinking of him as an avatar, but I just got an idea for a new avatar, based on a picture supplied by you. It's been a really long time since I changed one, so this is a good opportunity (and yes, I'm guessing that whatever that is doesn't actually moo).

Ton, I don't actually play the guitar. I do sort of play keyboard, but very badly, since I never practice.

The transformer logo was actually just something I chose randomly (maybe because I had the signature in mind at the time), so I got the image off Google, formatted it to fit the avatar size and just stayed with it.

Nice to meet you tst!

I think your Transformers icon is appropriate concidering your frequent change of icons.

But you are also Yen!

That makes you #4 on the NI forums and #5 on LAVA...

and

it makes you the first and only person to be in the top five of both forums.

I'd love to meet you just to shake your hand for that alone. Well now that you have revealed your true identity let me express what little I know and see if you can figure out what I am refereing to.

"May God make his face shine on you." (admittedly bad translations)

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 24
(8,133 Views)

@Ben wrote:

see if you can figure out what I am refereing to.

"May God make his face shine on you." (admittedly bad translations)

Numbers 6:25.

I know that's not what you meant, but that's where it comes from.

Well it's finally nice to meet you Yair!!

I was sure that you were N.H. from Colorado, but was confused by the fact that you appeared to be Jewish.. 

I met N.H. and asked her if she was tst, and obviously she was not.  So I then had an idea that you were not a woman..  I think you were ofended by it at one point...  LOL!!

You did have us going!  And we'll also meet at NI week!  Now how to convince Ben to show up!!!???

It'll be our first time in Austin as well.. 

Looking forward to meeting you..

RayR

Message 8 of 24
(8,078 Views)
We will be firing up the NIWeek Blog again this year. Perhaps you can submit some posts there (the url will redirect to the new location soon!).
Since it's your first time at NIWeek, we could use your unbiased candid perspective.

I kinda figured the Israel connection out (i'll let you figure out how). Perhaps now you can update the LAVA Member GeoMap with your approximate location... Smiley Wink

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
Message 9 of 24
(8,079 Views)

so what about that picture of the couple sitting down in front of a house..

You don't look like the guy who was roughly 35 yr old.  and well.. you don't look like the brunette either (dissapointed...  ***  LOL!!!! 😄 😄 😄 😄 )

Were you the one who had posted that misleading photo??  😉

LOL!!!

Message 10 of 24
(8,079 Views)