From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting Stuff

In this post, someone from the compiler team goes into some details about when LV allocates or reuses memory - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Inplace-Array-Size/idc-p/2496416#M23768

@tst wrote:

In this post, someone from the compiler team goes into some details about when LV allocates or reuses memory - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Inplace-Array-Size/idc-p/2496416#M23768

Indeed, worth reading.

I wonder if anyone at LV could write a document on the current state of some of the "under-the-hood" operations for our general enjoyment.  There are several things which spring to mind.....

0 Kudos
Message 112 of 128
(9,212 Views)

I've done a lot of Real-Time and FPGA work, but all for CompactRIO. This guy is telling me that he's deploying to FPGA from a Windows dll, built in LabVIEW and called from LabWindows. Is that for real? I've never heard of anything like it and wouldn't have immediately assumed this was possible. Is this perhaps possible in PXI?

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 113 of 128
(9,157 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

[..]I wonder if anyone at LV could write a document on the current state of some of the "under-the-hood" operations for our general enjoyment.  There are several things which spring to mind.....

Shane,

are you referring to KBs like NI LabVIEW Compiler: Under the Hood ?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 114 of 128
(9,127 Views)

@Norbert_B wrote:

@Intaris wrote:

[..]I wonder if anyone at LV could write a document on the current state of some of the "under-the-hood" operations for our general enjoyment.  There are several things which spring to mind.....

Shane,

Norbert

Norbert,  That document (highly informative) is a few years out of date.  At best we can find that "Significant Changes" are made have been made and are being made under the hood.

To be honest, my car has a button next to the shifter labled "Eco-Boost"  I don't really know what that does either but, it does greatly effect performance!  I played with it a few times and noted some changes to handleing and gas milage.  If someone wrote a brief on that I would probably read it if the differences became important for me to get from ptA to ptBSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 115 of 128
(9,119 Views)

Jeff,

yes, the document was published in 2010, so it is now about 3 years old now.

Still, there were minor updates done here and there in the document. Also, most notable, the big changes in the LV Compiler have been done mainly in the releases LV 2009 and 2010. The document covers all updates NI made to the LV Compiler including the 2010 updates.

With LV 2011 and 2012, not much changes were done to the compiler itself, at least not for Windows targets. My experience is that all stated information is still up-to-date and accurate.

You are correct that there can be changes in the compiler in any future version; but i would expect someone from NI to update this white paper or replace it with a new one.

As long as LV is a proprietary programming language, internals of the compiler will not be published even though that some users would find these information valuable even "only" for their daily work. From that point of view, i find the white paper already very "open".

Honestly, as LV does many optimizations (DFIR and LLVM level), most users don't need to know HOW exactly these are done. The important information is "HOW can i FORCE certain optimization or DISABLE them?". And using the knowledge provided by the white paper, this question can be answered for most use-cases.....

just my 2 cents,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 116 of 128
(9,082 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

To be honest, my car has a button next to the shifter labled "Eco-Boost"  I don't really know what that does either but, it does greatly effect performance!  I played with it a few times and noted some changes to handleing and gas milage.  If someone wrote a brief on that I would probably read it if the differences became important for me to get from ptA to ptBSmiley Wink

The Eco Boost or Economy Mode in cars changes the shifting profile for the automatic transmission as well as the fuel injection. This generally means the car will have a slower pickup and shift much more conservatively. On some cars it may also adjust the steering profile to a shofter steering as opposed to a stiffer, more responsive steering like a sports car.

I have an Eco mode on my 2012 Hyundai Sonta 2.0T. While I can still jump off the line while in economy mode it is nowhere near as fast as when it is off. I can also see that it will upshift at much lower RPMs which will decrease the acceleration. I haven't done a complete comparison of the mileage between the two modes but I do know the economy modes helps since it minimizes some of those jack rabbit starts. Smiley Very Happy

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 117 of 128
(9,048 Views)

@Norbert_B wrote:

@Intaris wrote:

Shane,

Norbert

Yeah, pretty much.  Smiley Embarassed

Message 118 of 128
(8,988 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 119 of 128
(8,806 Views)

An old boss (CLA #5 in the world) shared this about VI Macros.

I tend to like ideas with Jeff K involved.

Take care,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 120 of 128
(8,563 Views)